accidents (requested)

"How much longer do you think until we get home? This weather is making me nervous." You told Calum, who didn't take his eyes off the road for even a second.

It was much too risky to look away. The rain is pouring down and the wind is only making it worse. It's hard to see and he's driving as slowly and as carefully as possible.

But despite the weather and how safety should always come first, there were a few drivers you've encountered along the way on your drive home from your vacation out of town that he's found don't seem to feel the same and he refuses to look away, knowing a split second is all it would take.

"I don't know, baby. We're not far but with this weather? No telling." He sighed and turned the wipers on as fast as they would go, but it still didn't seem like it was clearing the water from the windshield fast enough.

You reached over to rub his thigh out of comfort. You pulled your hand away just as fast as you dropped it, simply wanting him to know that you were there and were willing to drive for him if he felt too tired or too nervous. But you knew he'd refuse that, too.

You closed your eyes for a split second. You spent the last few days on vacation together and it was full of amazing moments and memories with him that you'd cherish for the rest of your life. But you were exhausted now after doing so much.

You didn't think much about closing your eyes. You weren't the one driving and you just needed a second to rest them.

However, that one second was enough for everything to go wrong.

There was no one behind your car, so Calum was ready to let his mind rest for a split second as the car came to a stop at the red light.

But someone wasn't being as careful as you both were. As soon as Calum stopped the car, one came running through the red light, swerving lanes as they lost control of the wheel, and Calum's heart began to hammer against his chest when he realized the terrifying reality - it was going to hit you.

He didn't even have the chance to speak before it hit. So fast, so out of control, that it caused the car to spin across the road and then flip a time or two.

For you, everything went black quickly. You passed out on the first hit, smacking your head on the dash and losing consciousness.

Calum had only lost consciousness for a second, though. He was on his back when he opened his eyes. There were voices around him. He didn't recognize them. His eyes were heavy and so hard to open, but he felt someone tapping his shoulder and calling out 'sir? sir?' and trying to get him to open his eyes.

He groaned and managed to open them. The reality he was met with was absolutely horrifying. He had this terrible pain in his knee and his head was really sore. People around him were telling him that it was going to be okay and an ambulance was just a minute away. He could even hear the sirens in the distance.

He had to force himself to stay awake. He couldn't really speak. Not just because he was in shock, but because there was this terrible pain he felt; so bad he couldn't even speak.

He turned his head and his heart nearly stopped when he saw you.

You'd taken the worst of the crash. You were bleeding, completely unconscious, and unresponsive as people gathered around. The reality of it all sank in and caused Calum to pass out again, just as the ambulance showed up.

He opened his eyes a few minutes later when he was in the back of the ambulance. The paramedic by his side was pleading with him to keep his eyes open. His throat was incredibly dry, his body ached but not as much as his head, which hurt way worse.