you fight but can't sleep without each other

You slammed the bedroom door just as Calum did the same across the hall in one of the spare rooms.

You sat in bed and tugged at your hair. Frustrated and tired, you needed to call it a night. On top of being physically tired from your long day, you had to add mentally and emotionally exhausted onto the list now too thanks to your fight with Calum.

It was something you'd usually be able to settle pretty quickly. Who had to do the dishes tonight. It was his night to do them but he was too tired and wanted you to do them. Feeling tired yourself, you told him that it was his responsibility.

You didn't go too far. You're both careful with your words, even in heated moments. You know one word can change everything and saying something you can't take back even in the heat of the moment is too far.

So you both decided to sleep in separate rooms for the night. Take some time to cool down and clear your minds. You'd talk things out in the morning.

But you soon realized that sleeping without Calum by your side was much easier said than done. The bed felt cold without him there.

You missed him. You missed the warmth of his embrace. You missed the sound of his voice in your ear, the brush of his fingertips along your skin, his lips traveling along your skin leaving soft and comforting little kisses. You missed listening to the beat of his heart as you laid your head down on his chest. You missed him holding you.

You tried to sleep. You tried to cover up with the blanket and close your eyes and lay still. You figured that would send you to sleep sooner or later.

But as time passed you found that you had no other choice but to lay on his side of the bed. You buried your face into his pillow and closed your eyes, trying to calm your heart that was sinking deep in your chest when you thought back to the sadness in his brown eyes that you noticed when you suggested that you sleep in separate rooms to calm down for the night.

He was on board. He agreed that you both needed that time.

But he hated it as much as you did.

And you knew that when you heard his footsteps coming closer and closer. The door opened and it creaked slightly before it was pushed closed. You didn't even move from his spot and he didn't even care.

He just climbed into bed on your side.

It was quiet and still for a moment. You could feel his eyes on you before you felt his fingertips along your shoulder. Slowly and gently he brushed them along your skin.

"I'm sorry." He whispered as he hugged you close. Arms wrapping around you, he pushed his forehead against your back. His warm breath tickled your skin and he nudged his nose against your shoulder blade before gently kissed it. "I'm really sorry. I acted silly. I know it was my night to do the dishes but I was tired. But still, you don't ever hesitate to do them on your nights. You do them because you care and because we both agreed to take equal responsibility when we first moved in together."

He sighed and kissed your skin once more. Your heart fluttered at the sound of his voice and the feeling of his lips on your skin.

You turned around and his face was right by yours when you did.

You brushed your fingers through his curls and he chuckled softly.

"Missed your touch." He whispered, melting your heart even more.

"I love you. I'm sorry too. I thought we could both use some space to regain our composure but I think it was just torture without you here."

"I know, baby."

"It reminded me of when you're gone." You whispered. "I hate when you're gone."

He cupped your cheek and kissed your lips softly. "I'm right here." He promised and you laid your head on his shoulder. He tightened his arms around you and closed his eyes.

You both felt much better now that you could hold onto each other again.