he sings you to sleep when you're sick

You kicked the blankets back off of your body with a groan.

You've been sick the last couple of days, so sick that you slept most of the day today. It was what you needed at that time, but now you feel like you're wide awake. You still feel miserable, too. One minute you're hot and the next you're freezing cold.

The all too familiar tickle in your throat came back and you started to cough again. You sat up in bed and tried to stay quiet, but the comforting touch of your boyfriend's hand on your back told you he was awake too.

When you stopped coughing Calum reached across his nightstand and handed you a bottle of water. You took a few sips, feeling comforted when he sat up and wrapped his arms around your shoulders.

"You okay?" He asked worriedly.

You shrugged, taking a moment to allow yourself to catch your breath.

"Okay. Just take a deep breath."

You did as he said and leaned your head back on your shoulder. He kissed your cheek, feeling the warmth of your feverish skin against his lips. "Baby, you need to go back to sleep." He laid you down with him only for you to try to sit back up again.

"I can't. I feel too miserable."

Calum cooed and kissed your forehead. "How about if I sing to you? Will that help?" You shrugged but couldn't fight the tiny smile pulling at your lips at the thought of your boyfriend singing in your ear, just because he wanted to help you sleep and made you feel a little better. "I wouldn't mind trying."

He smiled at you then kissed your neck. "Then close your eyes, baby girl."

You did as he said and laid your head back. Calum pulled the blanket over you when you shivered a little and he started to sing 'best years' softly to you.

He watched your eyelashes flutter against your cheeks and your chest rise and fall. He listened as your breathing became steady. He laid his forehead on your shoulder, giving it a sweet kiss before he planted a few more to your temple.

He knew you'd fallen asleep so he laid back down beside you, but laid on his side so he could watch you sleep for a few minutes. "I love you, y/n. I hope you feel so much better soon. But until then, I'll be right here to take care of you," he paused and tucked a loose strand of hair behind your ear. "I'll always be here for you, baby."