35

"How long have you been with me, Ian?"

    "Twenty-four years, Mr. Mendry," replied the man at the desk.

    "I still remember when you were just by my side."

    Mendry looked up at him: "I saved your wife and children, and you said you would give your loyalty and life for me." "Do

    you remember? Ian

    glanced at him, then quickly lowered his head: "I still remember, sir."

    He said: "I owe you two lives."

    "You have always been my most trusted subordinate." Mendry's meaning was unclear Looking at him, because of his trust, Mendry has delegated a lot of power to Ian in the past, and his authority is the highest in the laboratory except for Mendry and Kathy.

    "I have something I need you to do."

    Ian stood in front of the desk with his hands down, listening carefully to Mendry's instructions.

    "They guessed right, this planet is probably leaving its original orbit at an extremely fast speed, maybe it has already left the last galaxy, and now it is in an area that humans have never explored." "Now let them temporarily settle

    down The reason for the division is the two starships in the laboratory, which means that we still have the last retreat, even if we can’t find the way back after leaving the planet, as long as we reach a place where there are people, we can always return to the emperor. Star."

    Ian continued to listen without interrupting Mendry, he knew what Mendry really wanted to say was still to come: "But the truth is, we don't have enough energy reserves." Mendry said: "The

    rest The energy is only enough for a starship to leave, and at least two-fifths of the people will be left behind."

    But among these people in the laboratory, who would like to be left behind?

    The limited opportunity to leave is bound to inspire contradictions in the laboratory and cause confusion, after all, human behavior in despair is immeasurable.

    At that point, it was hard for Mendry to guarantee that he would be one of those who left.

    "I'll leave in a few days." Mendry made no secret of his intentions. He knew Ian and knew that he would never do anything to betray him.

    He does not intend to take many researchers away, but only to take away some core personnel. If a large number of personnel disappear, it is easy to guess where they are going, and it is easy to leak information.    

     And some time ago, after the 157 incident broke out, not only did the researchers speculate about Mendry in private, and they felt some resentment towards him, Mendry also had some dissatisfaction with these researchers who had cooperated for a short time.  

     After experiencing the crisis of almost being unable to go back, it is hard not to guarantee that they will not be nostalgic for the comfort of Emperor Star in the later stage. Mendley plans to inject fresh blood into his laboratory on the next planet.    

     But this does not mean that he intends to give up the current laboratory so easily: "After leaving, I will contact Carlo as soon as possible, and then return with fuel."

     " The laboratory has been my painstaking effort for twenty years. As long as there is a chance, I won’t let it be destroyed just like that.”    

     “Before then, I need you to help me stabilize everyone until I come back with rescue.”    

      Mendry looked at the silent young man, he stood up and walked to Ian's side, and patted his shoulder vigorously: "I will come back."    

     But in fact, there is another possibility that is even bigger: "If you can't find this planet after you leave, I will replace it for you." Take care of your wife and children."   

    "In two days, I will start to complain." Mendry looked at him, "Of course, Kathy will stay here, he can stabilize half of the people's hearts by staying in the laboratory."

    Ian nodded to show that he understood. Although he didn't understand why the other person in power who was equally selfish and life-threatening in the laboratory chose to stay here, he knew that Mendry did not deceive him on this matter. .

    ——As

    Mendley had expected at first, under the presence of the two starships in the laboratory and Mendry, although people's hearts fluctuated, they were still within the controllable range, and Mendry saw that everything was fine, Then he began to claim that his illness did not show up in front of others.

    During this period, he copied a complete copy of all the experimental data for the past twenty years, and took the remaining small piece of starstone with him when he left.

    Mendry's departure successfully concealed most of the researchers, but did not deceive the experimental subjects.

    76 heard the sound of the starship leaving. A few days ago, he also heard Mendry and others talking about "leaving quietly". Originally, he occasionally paid attention to Mendry's movements, but at 77 he began to shed his skin. After that, 76 temporarily let go of his attention to Mendori, and put most of his energy on 77.

    77's molting process went smoothly, but all the experimental subjects were more worried that after the molting was over, his tail would turn into two legs uncontrollably. Only after these twelve hours, could they carry out the molting of the tail and legs by themselves. transform.

    However, the effect of 76's smile last time was obviously very good, and the story of him smiling at the researchers quickly spread throughout the laboratory.

    Although after that time, 76 did not smile at them again, but they have discussed various reasons in private about 76's smile, whether it is pure imitation, or they have always had feelings, and they are learning how human behavior affects themselves. expression of affection, or is it a deliberate prank-like intimidation?

    All the researchers were in a hurry when feeding, and few of them took the initiative to tease the experimental subjects. In a sense, it can be regarded as reducing the probability of 77 being discovered in a disguised form.

    The conversion time of 76 is at night, but 77 happens to start in the afternoon.

    Different from molting, the transformation of the tail into legs is more like a change from the inside out. The first transformation process is often accompanied by unbearable pain.

    77 felt that the tail seemed to be separated from the middle, and the pain caused cold sweat to break out on his forehead. The white tail was curled up on the ceiling, and he had to pay attention not to make any big movements.

    At this time, it happened to be the time to feed the experimental subjects with dinner. 76 stretched out his upper body and scanned the door of the third district. He knew that in about five minutes, two researchers would walk in from there pushing food.