Chapter LXXXV

Angst and violence people, your favorite!

.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

.

3rd Person's POV

In the dream's grasp, Kanae was at the once-familiar gates of the Butterfly Estate, now in ruins.

The sight that truly shattered her was the small shrine and grave marked with the heartbreaking inscription:

 Kocho Shizu, 1912-1916.

As she approached, stunned, Y/N was there, calm as he drank tea in front of their daughter's grave. He turned to Kanae with a look of pure hatred and hurled the cup of hot tea at her, scalding her face. The physical pain was sharp, but it paled in comparison to the emotional agony she felt.

"One dead. Hopefully, you'll join your daughter soon," he spat out with hatred.

Kanae managed to stammer, "I... Shizu is... our..."

Y/N's glare was icy, his words cruel. "I never wanted to have children, Kocho. You were the one to force me, just spreading your legs at any chance you got. Why am I with you? Out of pity. Someone as stupid and naive would never be able to remotely please a man out there."

Kanae managed to speak through her sobs, "You're not my Y/N."

The figure before her, a cruel distortion of her beloved, sneered back. "I'm not yours, you dumb bitch. I ran away because I was sick of you, sick of that parasite growing in your body. Why can't you find me, woman? Because I'm hiding from you."

"I should have been with any other Hashira or even your sister Shinobu. She is more competent and intelligent than you—a stupid girl thinking everything is a children's happy tale."

Rising to his feet, the nightmare version of Y/N towered over Kanae. "A demon came to eat your daughter. I just watched in amusement as it tore her apart, curious as to why you weren't here to protect her. Oh right... you're useless, Kocho. die please, so I can stop hiding from your pathetic existence."

His hand lashed out, striking Kanae across the face with a force that sent her reeling. The impact left a burning sting on her cheek, "You're a failure as a mother, as a wife, as a Hashira. You're nothing. Why don't you do the world a favor and end your miserable life?"

"You thought bringing a child into this world would make me stay? Pathetic. That child was nothing but a chain, an anchor dragging me down. You thought you could trap me with a pregnancy?"

He grabbed Kanae by the hair, yanking her head back to force her to look into his eye filled with contempt. "You're not just a failure as a Hashira; you're a failure as a woman. Your daughter died because you weren't strong enough to protect her, too busy chasing after a man who loathes your very existence."

With a cruel chuckle, he pushed her to the ground. "You're worthless, Kocho. Even your sister outshines you in every conceivable way. It's a wonder you ever thought you could be loved."

Driven by a surge of hatred and rage, Kanae refused to be broken by this illusion. She decapitated the false Y/N, his head tumbling to the ground as she awoke from the nightmare.

.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

.

Back on the rooftop, bloodshot eyes blazing with fury, Kanae stood up, trembling with anger. "DON'T YOU DARE put those filthy words on his lips! DIE!" she screamed into the night.