Chapter XCVIII

..... I can't keep making myself cry like this...

.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

.

Y/N heard Sanemi's weak voice calling out to him, struggling to form the words. "Y/N... Y/N, I..."

Y/N gently touched his brother's shoulder, the motion slow and pained. He replied softly, "Genya..."

Both brothers looked at their youngest, Genya whose body was cut in half, barely holding on. Genya weakly called out each of their names-Gyomei's, Muichiro's, Yuichiro's, and Y/N's-desperate to know if they were right.

Gyomei approached Genya, his towering frame bending low to hear the boy's voice. "They're all alright," he said, trying to offer comfort, "except for Muichiro and Yuichiro."

For respect and to ease Genya's worry, Gyomei moved Sanemi's body in front of Genya, proving he was still breathing.

The sight seemed to calm Genya slightly, though his condition was deteriorating rapidly.

Y/N limped toward his brothers, each step a struggle, his broken body barely holding together. He turned to look behind him, his gaze falling on the mutilated bodies of Muichiro and Yuichiro. Gyomei pointed out that without their help, and Genya's sacrifice, there would've been no chance at even beheading Upper Rank One.

Tears went down Gyomei's cheeks as he closed Muichiro's and Yuichiro's eyes, gently pressing his hands over them. "We shall join you soon enough, boys..." he whispered, his voice filled with grief. The realization that these brave, beautiful boys he had saved were now gone forever was a painful thing.

Y/N felt his throat tighten, the emotions overwhelming him. He kneeled before the bodies of the Tokito brothers, his heart aching with regret. "Go with your parents... Yui... Mui... I was... happy to have met you... I'm sorry..." He gently kissed their foreheads, his touch soft, almost as if they were merely sleeping. Gyomei covered them with his haori, draping it over their lifeless bodies, his shoulders shaking with sobs.

Y/N stood with difficulty, using his yari for support, and made his way toward his dying baby brother, Genya and the distraught Sanemi.

Sanemi held onto Genya's remaining hand and looked up at Y/N with tear-filled eyes. The guilt, the helplessness, and the profound sadness in his expression.

Sanemi knelt beside Genya, his voice filled with panic and desperation. "No... why the fuck are you disintegrating?! No... fucking hell, Y/N... Y/N, please... there must be something we can do!" He looked up at his brother who was limping toward them. "Maybe we can give him our blood so he regenerates? Y/N... please!"

Y/N's steps were slow and shaking, but his focus was entirely on Genya. He whispered, "Genya..."

Genya's eyes flickered as he recognized his mutilated older brother, still somehow alive. He muttered, "Nii-chan..." the word barely audible over the fear and pain.

Genya swallowed, his body falling apart before their eyes. "Sanemi... I'm sorry for all the horrible things I said to you... You too, Y/N... I... was always a burden," he said, tears forming. "I was always in your way... I'm sorry... I just wanted to protect you..."

Sanemi shouted, "Shut up! You're not supposed to... protect us... We're... y-you-your big brothers, idiot... You were supposed to live a l-long happy life! That's why I pushed you away!"