Chapter 3 | Did You Really Just Walk Into That Wall?

Mira

Mira

Although I was new, my day went really well.

By well I meant a completely normal day of sitting alone and studying, just the way it was in India. But apart from the 'being lonely' part, I actually really liked it here at Stanford. It had a beautiful campus and the feeling that I was a part of this great and prestigious institution gave me a thrilling happiness. It was like standing in the middle of the corridor with all those huge buildings towering over me, all those international students milling around in small groups, the sound of the music coming from one of the many buildings, the stunning greenery and the complete environment just made me tingle all over with excitement and curiosity.

It was as if the doors to a completely new and unknown world were thrown open for me. A world that held great opportunities and promised a wide plethora of unforgettable experiences.

Another thing I loved was the way things were taught to us. The teachers were all extremely professional and crazy good at their jobs. It was clear in the very first lecture that their knowledge quotient and capability to not just teach but actually make us learn was unmatchable. I was really impressed by Mr. Brown-our Chemistry professor. The way he taught us with funny anecdotes accompanying the course study, made Chemistry seem much better.

You couldn't really appreciate the whole view completely when you entered, just like I hadn't, but once you got a little bit familiar with your surroundings, you could really feel the university inside you, as if it was a part of you and take it from me, this feeling of belonging was ethereal.

Impressing the professors wasn't difficult. What proved to be an obstruction was the poisonous glares I got. Not that I wasn't used to all these things. Now I'm not saying that the student population at Stanford was necessarily bad. All I'm saying is that the competition here was cut throat.

Everyone here wanted to be the best. But Stanford didn't accept anybody who wasn't the best, in the first place so technically, everyone here wanted to be the best of the best. That was tough.

And the moment I had answered all of the spitfire questions thrown my way, I knew, I had earned quite a huge number of classmates cum competitors cum enemies on the very first day of college.

That's how great my life was.

Totally normal stuff.

But one thing was really really abnormal...Renee.

Renee Wallace.

I met her in English and something instantly clicked. She was supposed to sit behind me but ended up sitting next to me. Somehow we got talking and voila! I had a new friend. We even managed to exchange numbers within twenty minutes of talking.

Renee was a cheerful girl with flaming red hair in a pixie cut and her personality had a punk vibe. She was about the same height as me, maybe an inch or two shorter. She wore a lot of bracelets- like a whole lot of them-which even made me wonder that how was it that she didn't get cramps in her wrist.