Chapter 50 | Break A Leg {FINAL CHAPTER} UNEDITED

Dylan

"Mom," I shouted for my mother from inside my wardrobe as I stood in front of the mirror, straightening out the lapels of my best tuxedo. Even the smallest bit of a crease was sending me into panic mode and I had spent the last hour examining myself in the mirror.

"Yes, Dylan? Did you call for me?" I heard a knock and quickly opened the door to let mom in. "Grace told me she heard your voice." She pointed towards the corridor where of course, a thirty something woman was busy polishing the painting frames.

I nodded and pointed towards my suit. "How does this look?" I asked trying to be nonchalant. "Good?"

Mom grinned. "This would have looked good," She paused and I frowned. Mom moved forward to pat me on lightly the shoulder. Unlike her action, her tone in what she said next was teasing. "-if you were going to a formal event." She finished and looked at me, her eyes dancing with loving mockery as the corners of her mouth crinkled. "But dinner at your girlfriend's house can hardly be considered that." She added matter-of-factly and smiled. "I suggest you keep the shirt and the pants but this tuxedo jacket needs to go."

"Ha, of course." I shrugged, lowkey embarrassed but trying to hide it. "Of course, I knew that." I flung the tuxedo onto the leather sofa and turned towards her again.

"How about now?" I pointed at myself and stole a sidelong glance at myself in the mirror. All of a sudden, my black dress shirt and dark maroon trousers didn't look so formal.

Mom looked at me approvingly and gave me a thumbs up. "I'd personally love to see my potential son-in-law turn up wearing something like this." She nodded and smiled. "Okay, approved."

"Thanks, mom." I grinned back at her as she paced forward and embraced me.

"Mom," I stiffened and pulled back. "This is embarrassing. I am not a kid." I huffed. "You're acting all sappy." I shuddered and she chuckled.

"Yes, I suppose I am." She shrugged looking at me affectionately. "I guess my son is no longer a kid." She smiled and patted my shoulder.

"And since you're a man now, you better get your woman too." She grinned. "Break a leg."

I smirked back at her words. "You bet I will," I took a last glance at myself and stepped out.

***

The bouquet in my hand shuddered slightly as my hand slowly took on a reddish tinge from grasping it too tight. I could feel all my initial confidence evaporating and building anxiety took its place. I swallowed my nervousness and rung the bell to Mira's house.

No one answered.

I snuck a glance at my watch. I was exactly on time.

Letting go of my breath, I patiently counted to ten and then reached out to ring the bell again but stopped in my tracks as the door was flung open.

Mira's mom stood at the door, flanked by a small boy about Alex's age. Karthik, Mira's brother.

"Come in," She smiled warmly and I nodded respectfully, stepping in after them. Warm aroma hit me as soon as the door shut behind us which for some strange reason made me feel more at home than I actually was.

The fact that Mira was in here somewhere, near to me, was a huge consolation. I decided to let all my fears take a hike and just be myself. I did not have anything to lose...

...except maybe the only thing I had ever really wanted.

Putting on my best, dazzling smile, I extended the bouquet to Mrs. Anand. I figured the classic and cringeworthy wasn't going to work in my favour and steered clear of the 'beautiful bouquet for the beautiful lady' line and went for a simple 'for you' accompanied with my classic signature smile instead.