Chapter 35 | You Know You're Amazing?

Mira

"I have one question." I finally found the courage to ask.

Dylan looked up from his interlocked hands and stared at me, mouth pulled into a straight line.

He looked tired. A sleepless night and a busy day seemed to be taking its toll on him. His hair was mussed and his posture stiff as if he'd been sitting that way all day long.

"Go ahead. I have already told you everything. I might as well answer your question." He murmured.

"So," I paused, unsure of what to say. Wrapping my head around the fact that Dylan was going to act as the new Head Manager of his father's company when he was barely even eighteen years of age was a little difficult.

He was such a prankster and rarely ever took anything seriously except his family and now maybe me-and it drove me nuts to acknowledge that he really cared about me-and he was a total 'go with the flow' sort of a person. It was hard to imagine him sitting behind a huge desk in formal wear, looking all solemn and focused.

I cleared my throat. "Don't misunderstand me," I paused. "But why are you taking up such a huge responsibility? Are you alright?" I asked before I could decide against it.

I guess the incredulity showed in my tone because Dylan smiled.

"Of all the things that you could have asked, did you really ask me if I was alright?" He said half-amazed, half-surprised.

"Please tell me that your parents didn't force you into this." I said. "I can't imagine you taking over such a huge responsibility just yet."

"Are you underestimating me?" Dylan rose an eyebrow but his tone was playful.

"No. I'm not." My reply was quick. "Why would I underestimate you? Others may not know it, but I know that you're very smart." I said. "So what if your English assignments suck? Getting the top grades in school is overrated anyway. You can take that from me." I said as a matter-of-fact.

"Thanks, I guess." Dylan said clearly stunned by my admission.

I smiled. "I know, you'll do great. It's just that, I never thought-I thought that you had literally no worries in the world." I smiled wistfully. "I thought I was the only one with all the burdens. I mean, you have the perfect family, the perfect life, but now I realise that it's not all roses." I paused. "You rich heirs do really have to work hard to play hard, the way you do."

Dylan listened intently as I poured out my feelings. I was too embarrassed to look up and meet his unfaltering gaze on me.

Finally, he spoke.

"So now you realise that even the rich guys have to work their butts off." Dylan smiled yet again.

To be honest, I was actually starting to miss his stupid smirk.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"You know you're amazing?" Dylan said almost as if he was thinking out loud.

"Huh?" I stared at him quizzically. He looked gorgeous in his light blue button down with sleeves rolled up to reveal his forearms and dark slim fit pants. A tie hung loosely around his collar as if he had hurriedly loosened it and I couldn't help but wonder about the women who must have eyed him up at the meeting. He was way too good looking to be true.

I ignored the pang in my heart and focused on Dylan. He was moving now, reaching out towards me. I didn't realise until he held my hand and pulled me up that he planned to embrace me.

A heated blush rose to my cheeks at the look in his eyes as he put his arms around me. Warmth engulfed me and I found myself hugging him back.

"You always know exactly what to say to make me feel better. It's like you're psychic or something." He hummed against my neck and I squirmed a little as the tingles spread through my body. As if sensing the reaction of my body, he pulled me even tightly into the embrace as we rocked gently.