Chapter 14 | Fights, Princesses and Bribes

Mira

Mira

"Slow down." I shouted for the umpteenth time as Dylan sped his bike around yet another steep turn. My eyes widened seeing the speedometer flash a horrendous speed of a hundred miles per hour. Looking at the streets and buildings whizz past me as they quickly disappeared, made me feel nauseous and my heart fell.

"We are almost there," Dylan shouted back, completely unaware of the fact that with the speed we were currently going at, I was seconds away from getting a heart attack. Literally and figuratively.

"Slow down, for god's sake!" I yelled again as I held on to Dylan tightly. Right now, holding onto him seemed like my only hope. I was being completely irrational. I knew that. Trusting the reckless boy I was currently anchoring on to was probably going to be the worst decision of my life but I didn't really care as much about it as I did about the fact that I was there in that moment with him. I was there. And he was breathing life into me...while he potentially put my life in danger.

Ironic.

Oh god, I didn't want to die. Not now. Not like this...

There were so many thoughts in my head and I was scared...just as much I was exhilarated. Adrenaline pumped through my veins as the strong breeze whipped my hair across my face, leaving behind a clean but faint taste of winter in my mouth. I shivered and moved closer to Dylan's body, revelling in the warmth of his body heat as goosebumps formed on the bare skin of my arms.

His body was warm and smooth under my touch, although he might have been feeling a little cold himself, judging from the surprised sound that escaped his mouth the moment I engulfed him with my body. Thoughtlessly, in my quest to attain more comfort and provide warmth to my rapidly freezing fingers, I smoothed my hands on each of his arms.

"Don't do that." His voice rang with suppressed alarm as he gave a visible shudder. I giggled childishly at his reaction and at the hair that had risen on his arms.

"You forgot to wear your jacket, huh?" I teased. "Even though the way you're driving isn't very safe and thus, I find it very unappealing, still I could certainly have used your jacket to stuff my hands into." I laughed. "My fingers are going numb."

"If forgetting my jacket makes you want to rub your hands all over me, I'll very gladly leave it behind. It's just that I know of much better ways to warm you up, princess." He answered, chuckling as I pulled my hands away from his skin, embarrassed with the way he playfully but deliberately misinterpreted my innocent intentions.

"Head to toe." He continued and I could hear the mischief in his voice. I couldn't tell if he was being genuine or just poking fun at my apparent lack of experience so I chose not to respond lest I got myself into more trouble. Dylan openly laughed at my silence but I could practically visualise the machinery in his head working overtime as he perhaps wondered if my silence was the aftermath of his words, if somehow he'd said something that he knew would offend me. But I wanted to pick and choose my battles. Making innuendos and cracking sexual jokes seemed to be a trait that ran in his blood and I wasn't about to pick a fight with him over that, especially when he hadn't even particularly annoyed me. What I was curious to get answers about though, was the reason why he felt the need to rethink his words when they were directed at me when he clearly wasn't one to give a damn about the opinion others had about him.