Chapter 13

"We are going to Ankara" Mitch announced

Rupert looked up at his partner "What do you mean?"

"I mean that we are going to Ankara" Mitch announced again

Rupert shut down his laptop and now gave his full attention to Mitch, who was having a beer and was on his laptop

"Why are we going to Ankara?" He asked Mitch

"Because the Headquarters of the Turkish Armed Forces is in Ankara and so is the Russian military weapon, which is the main reason why we even came here. We have to know more about that weapon. Also we have been investigating since a week now but couldn't find anything about Sayyed which means that there is a high chance of finding Sayyed and his men in Ankara." Mitch explained still not looking up from his laptop screen.

"Rapp, our assignment is only to observe and confirm whether Shaikh is in contact with Sayyed, not to go and hunt for Sayyed ourselves." Rupert tried reasoning

Mitch now looked up from his laptop at his partner "We are observing, just a little deeper into this. We aren't going to kill anybody, just find out some more detailed info."

"But Stansfield and Hurley—" Rupert was interrupted by a very angry Mitch "Grant, can you for once in life stop being their puppets and take decisions for yourself and do what you want to do?"

"You're telling me to take decisions for myself when you can't even tell Aayat you're in love with her because you are afraid of the consequences." Rupert blurted out with the same level of rage as Mitch.

Mitch's eyes widened at Rupert probably because he has never seen Rupert angry and also at what he just said.

Mitch said in low edgy tone "You said that now, don't ever say it again."

"Why shouldn't I? Don't ever try telling me what I said was wrong. I watched you fall for her man. She changed you for the good. She brought out the best in you; because of her, you and I were starting to become friends. And now you are just going to pretend that she never existed Rapp."

"Look Grant, I don't know what you are talking about. Aayat was just a lead that could help us with Shaikh and Sayyed. That's it" Mitch yelled

"Really? Is that why you spent two hours at the mall searching for the perfect gift for her. Rapp I'm just saying that don't let her go man. If she was able to change you, then it means she must be special. Don't lose something special like that", Rupert explained in a soft tone now.

Mitch listened to what he said and didn't yell back this time because as much as he hated to admit this, Rupert was right. He couldn't ignore his feelings for her. No matter how much he tried to forget about her, he couldn't. He loved her.

But this wasn't some fairy tale where he and Aayat could have a happy ending. This was real life and his life was nothing less than a nightmare. Some love stories just aren't meant to be.

"People like us can't fall in love, Rupert", he said in a low voice

Rupert was taken aback. Mitch had called him by his first name. This caused Rupert to twitch a smile. Maybe he and Mitch were becoming friends after all.

"Mitch" Rupert addressed him by his first name, Mitch didn't react which made it official, they were on first name basis now.

He continued, "What do you mean people like us? We are humans, not robots. We have emotions as well. I agree that what we do isn't rainbows and sunshine but that doesn't mean we don't deserve to be happy. Also you will regret this for the rest of your life"

"Regret what?" Mitch asked

"When we go back to America, you're going to regret not telling her about your feelings. I'm not saying that you should pursue a relationship with her; I'm just saying that you should let her know what you feel for her. At least when you go back to America you'll have the satisfied feeling you told her."

Mitch thought about it for a while. There is nothing harm in letting her know what he feels. He wants to know whether she feels the same way or not and this is his only chance. Rupert was right, if he goes back to America without doing this, he will probably regret this forever.

"Maybe I should" Mitch said, more to himself

Rupert patted his back "That's my boy"

Mitch glared at Rupert and he slowly took his hands off "I'm taking my hands off"

Mitch groaned "I can't believe I had such a sappy heartfelt conversation with you. God she really does have an effect on me"

Rupert grinned, "Don't worry Sherlock, no one will ever know about this conversation. It's Dr. Watson's promise to you."

Mitch rolled his eyes and said "But we are going to Ankara"

Rupert knew Mitch wasn't going to let that go "Ahh fine we'll go to Ankara but after you go on a proper date with her and attend her seminar"

Mitch simple said, "deal" before he went in his room to plan his date with the girl he had fallen in love with.