Chapter 14

Mitch texted Aayat and told her to meet him at the Albanian Gardens at 11:30pm sharp. He didn't have the stomach to call her and hear her voice or justify his actions in the past few days towards her. Tonight he was going to clear everything up and confess his feelings for her. But the problem was he didn't know how. He wasn't really good with words. Mitch didn't plan his speech like most guys do when telling their feelings to a girl. He didn't even know what he was exactly going to say. He'll just wing it, see how it happens and go with the flow.

He was now lighting up some candles as he waited for her. Mitch knew Aayat was fascinated by the moon and tonight was the night of the Red Moon or Blood Moon, whatever they call it. That's the reason why he decided for a simple picnic at the park alone with Aayat as they watched the Blood Moon.

Mitch looked up and saw Aayat walking towards him with Yoda. He chuckled "Did you bring Mr. Shaikh to our date as well?"

"I like spending time with Yoda since he is the only one who doesn't randomly decide to ignore me" she said in a low voice

Mitch knew this was coming "Aayat, I am so sorry for my behavior in the past few days. I don't even have any explanation for that. It's just I was figuring some stuff out and then I had work. I wanted to make it up to you"

He took her hand and they walked to the edge of the lake. He pointed towards the moon and she gasped.

She shed a tear and Mitch wiped it away with his thumb. "Its beautiful" she said

"When I was a kid around 7-8 years, my dad would take me to the countryside in his old jeep at night and we would watch the moon and stars. He would always say that when the people we love the most die, they become stars and watch over us."

She pointed to a star that was shining the brightest and was very close to the moon "That's my dad"

Mitch's eyes followed to where she was pointing. He smiled and said "right next to my dad". Aayat chuckled.

Mitch looked down and said "Aayat, there is something I want to tell you. But I don't know how. You see I am not really good with words like at all especially with all the emotional sappy stuff and—" he got cut off by Aayat who held his arm and turned him towards her.

She stepped closer, "Asher what is it?"

Mitch didn't say anything. He didn't know how to put his thoughts in words. But he looked at Aayat with so much love that Aayat thought she was going to melt.

They both started leaning towards each other, their lips just centimeters away. Suddenly Aayat pulled away and looked at him. Mitch looked deeply into her eyes. Her eyes were teary but she looked at him with the same amount of love as he did. He also saw guilt on her face.

Mitch furrowed his eyes in confusion, why did she seem to be guilty. But he shrugged that thought and just focused on the love her eyes held for him.

But before he could say anything, she muttered, "I have to go" and walked away from him along with Yoda.

There were a lot of things Mitch should be thinking about right now but all he could think about was the fact that Aayat loved him back. She may not have verbally said it and she may have abruptly decided to leave the garden but all that didn't matter to him right now. All that mattered was that he knew she loved him back and he couldn't stop smiling.

Rupert Grant saw his colleague, Mitch Rapp walk in the apartment. He was wearing his usual attire, black shirt, a leather jacket and black jeans with his always-messy hair.

But other than his usual attire, Rapp also wore something, which Rupert or perhaps no one from the CIA has seen on Rapp.

Mitch Rapp wore a smile on his face.

This wasn't those smirks or smugs or as Rupert likes to put it, those "evil smiles".

It was a dreamy smile, an actual genuine smile, which a normal human being has.

Mitch walked up to his wardrobe to pick his clothes for bed with that same dreamy smile, as if he was lost in his own world, not aware of anything around him. He didn't even glance at Rupert nor was he even aware of Rupert examining him. This was all very un-Mitch like.

No one had ever seen Mitch Rapp smiling and Rupert knew that only person could make Mitch Rapp smile like that.

Aayat

"I'm assuming the date went well", Rupert teased

Mitch finally turned and looked at Rupert, he smiled even more "Yeah kind of"

Rupert grinned, "So does she feel the same way?"

"Yeah" Mitch happily said

He recalled the events at the park

"Asher what is it?"

Suddenly Mitch's smile fell from his face and he frowned, Rupert noticed his partner's sudden change in mood "What happened Mitch?"

"I just realized that she has feelings for Asher Williams the journalist, not Mitch Rapp the Assassin. She doesn't even know my real name Rupert." Mitch sadly said

"Tomorrow is her seminar and after that we leave for Ankara. You can tell her the truth if you want" Rupert suggested

"I can't. That's crossing the line. I can't tell her that. That'll be like involving her in the mission and I certainly cannot do that." Mitch said. He continued "But I will tell her that I'm going back to America."

Rupert just silently nodded knowing that there was nothing else they could do.