Chapter 27

"How did he escape Aayat?" Sayyed yelled

They were preparing to leave for Turkey. He couldn't risk staying in Moscow now that Mitch Rapp knew his location.

"I don't know. He is a CIA so I'm pretty sure he must know how to get out of handcuffs" Aayat explained as she was packing and trying to avoid him.

"Those were Dutch Police Handcuffs. One doesn't just get out of those without a key." He barked

"Are you accusing me of giving him the key and letting him go?" she asked in disbelief and this time finally looking at him.

"Well can you blame me? He said that you called him and lured him away from the White House. You saved his life Aayat. Why the hell did you do that?" he asked her

"The security took pictures of everyone who entered the building including me when I was in disguise. Mitch was talking to the head of security for details of everyone in the building. The head of security gave the details and pictures of everyone in the building including the cleaning staff. He was going through those files and Mitch is not the kind of a guy whom you can fool with a disguise so before he could see my details and picture, I called him to distract him. My intention wasn't to lure him away from the building but just to distract him and buy me time to get out of the building" she smoothly lied.

Sayyed took in what she just said. He still wasn't completely convinced.

He asked again "Why was he looking at you like that?"

"Looking at me like what?" she nervously asked

"Like you two had some kind of a history together" he clarified

She turned away from him and started packing again before replying, "I don't know what you are talking about. Its nothing like that."

After few seconds, he spoke up "Aayat, I have noticed that you haven't been the same since you came back from Istanbul and I have a feeling that it has something to do with this boy."

She lie again "As I said, this is just a misunderstanding. Today was the first time I met him face to face"

"Are you sure about that? Were you just observing him from afar in Istanbul? Did you not even once meet him over there?" he asked

Great. Another lie, she thought, "Yes, I was just purely spying him from afar. I never met him face to face until today."

He still wasn't completely convinced but let it go, "I hope this is just a misunderstanding Aayat and I also hope you know whose side you are on."

"Yeah, of course I know whose side I am on" she said.

Sayyed nodded and left.

Her mind went to Mitch and she realized that as long as she is in love with him, she would never be whole-heartedly with Sayyed and The Islamic Jihad.

Its not like she was on the civilian's side to save them either. She could honestly care less about them.

But she just wanted Mitch safe.

So in reality she herself was not sure whose side was she really on.