Chapter 50

You know that moment when you feel everything is perfect and nothing can go wrong but boom your 5 minutes fantasy goes down in drain.

That's exactly what happened with Aayat.

She ran as fast as she could but she hadn't really thought of her plan through because as soon as she left Goons Hotel, she a heard a loud alarm ringing throughout Goons Town.

It was an alarm to alert the others of a missing prisoner, well importantly an alarm to warn Sayyed.

Aayat was jumping through roofs but she still couldn't escape.

She saw men running around with guns trying to find her.

One of the men shot her in the leg and she immediately fell down on the ground.

Luckily it was just a two floor building so she hadn't hit her head hard enough to die on instant but she again felt agonizing pain in her body.

She heard a chuckle "Well well well. Did you really think you could escape from me so easily my dear child? It was a good attempt I must say but I am Assef Sayyed. I trained you and you think you could use it against me."

Aayat didn't even have an ounce of strength to reply. Her leg was throbbing and her skull felt like it was going to break any second.

"I am going to put in a special place Aayat." Those were the last words she heard from Sayyed before passing out.

************************

Mitch sat on the edge of the hotel room's bed, tapping his foot. It was 10:09 am and he was having a hell of a time trying to calm his nerves. All he'd brought along was a small duffel bag that Ridley had helped him pack. Petrosian had come back to the safe house after his dinner with the police chief to go over the plan. He was not optimistic that Mitch would succeed, but agreed that doing nothing was a worse alternative. So, shortly before midnight, Mitch was shuttled from Petrosian's armor-plated sedan to the Beirut police chief's four-door Peugeot. Mitch was not thrilled about the idea at first, but when Petrosian explained that the chief was eager to make amends for his lack of judgment the day before, Mitch went along with it. Petrosian also knew that the chief would tell the right people that another CIA man had shown up and was looking to negotiate the release of his colleagues.

They made it through the checkpoint fine, but Mitch had to resist the urge to shoot the smug little turd of a police chief and both of his men. It would have sent a nice message, but ultimately the wrong one, considering his final objectives. And besides, he had a role to play, so as they neared the hotel Mitch fired off one anxious, paranoid question after another. The chief did his best to calm his guest, but Mitch played the inconsolable nervous wreck better than he could have hoped.

They reached the Shady Cedar Hotel at twenty minutes past midnight. Ridley had handpicked the hotel because it was smack dab in the middle of Indian country. All three men escorted Mitch into the lobby. The chief asked to have a private word with the manager, and the two men disappeared behind the closed door of the small office behind the reception desk. The other two policemen stood chain-smoking by the door, while Mitch stood at the front desk and did his best to look nervous as hell, which was no easy thing considering the fact that he really wanted to kick down the door and pistol-whip the double-dealing police chief.

After five minutes Chief Haddad appeared, stroking his mustache and assuring Rapp that everything was taken care of. The little kiss-ass hotel manager joined in, telling Mitch that all would be fine. Mitch got the distinct impression that all would not be fine, and that both of these men would look to make money by turning him in to Islamic Jihad, but that was the point of the whole crazy exercise. So Mitch anxiously shuffled his feet and kept rubbing his neck as if he was a wreck.