Chapter 23

MOSCOW, RUSSIA

The White House was surrounded by fleets of police cars, ambulances and fire brigades. There were helicopters flying above the White House. Mitch tried to get inside but the cops wouldn't let him. Several people died and several were injured. Mitch was just hoping that everyone from the CIA especially the ones he was closest to, Rupert, Kennedy, Hurley and Stansfield were from the injured category. It was such chaos that during the first two hours he couldn't find out any information.

Mitch was trying to figure out how did all this happen. He instantly knew this stunt was pulled by the terrorists. Only they would want to attack the parliament building especially when the UN Meeting is going on. He also had an idea who exactly was behind this, Sayyed.

And if Sayyed was behind this, then so was Aayat.

A wave of guilt and frustration rushed through him. If he 'd killed Aayat that day, then there was a chance that none of this would have happened. He was filled with guilt and remorse because all this was partly his fault. Mitch would never be able to forgive himself if his colleagues and friend (Rupert) died.

Rupert's words on their first day in Istanbul flashed in his mind,

"Just don't develop any personal feelings in this mission Rapp"

All those people had to pay the price partly because Mitch did not listen to Rupert's advice.

Three hours later

Mitch was at the hospital. Waiting impatiently for any news. A cop approached him and handed him a file "Here you go Sir. It's a list of the names of everyone who died and those who are injured."

Mitch nodded as he took the file and scanned through all the names, praying that the names of his colleagues are in the injured list and not the deceased list. He sighed in relief as he spotted their names in the injured list.

He stopped a doctor who was passing in the hallway and who seemed to be in a hurry "Excuse me, can I meet the patients—" the doctor interrupted him,  "I'm sorry but all the injured patients are in the ICU and are in critical condition, no visitors are allowed at the moment" and with that, the doctor left.

Well if they wouldn't let him meet anybody then he might as well find Sayyed himself.

Mitch went to the now broken White House again to investigate and find any clues.

The building entrances were taped up with the No Crossing tape, but of course that wasn't going to stop Mitch from entering.

As he entered the burnt building, he realized if he hadn't left the meeting room and gone to the waterfront, he also would've been in the hospital, either at the morgue or the ICU. His mind then went to the phone call he had received just few minutes before the explosion. The phone call was the reason why he even went to the waterfront in the first place because his mind was distracted and also due to the lack of mobile network.

That couldn't be a coincidence. A blank phone call just before the explosion, but why would the terrorists call him? That would just mean he would get out of the building and wouldn't die in the explosion.

But the real question was how did they even get his number?

His eyes widened as realization dawned upon him.

The only terrorist who even knew his number was Aayat.

So she was the one who called him, which means she was personally here in the White House to plant the bomb.

Mitch quickly went through his call history and saw that it was a private number.

He was aware that even though the number was untraceable, she still would've thrown away the sim card.

He made his way to the camera room, slightly hoping he would get some evidence but as expected, everything was destroyed.

Mitch walked around a bit more to find anything and at the same time his mind went back to Aayat. She made it clear that night that she had absolutely no feelings for him and everything that happened between them was just a part of her mission. Then why did she try to lure him away from the building and save his life? Unless she was lying and perhaps she really did have feelings— No no! Mitch thought. How could he even think something like that! She is the reason why so many people lost their lives and so many are fighting for theirs.

Mitch swore that she and Sayyed wouldn't get away with this. He will find them and this time he will fulfill the promise he made to Aayat.

The next time he sees her, he would kill her.