Chapter 26

"Rapp I can't believe you went there alone! You could've died." said a furious Irene Kennedy.

"But I didn't and we know now for sure that Sayyed was behind this. Look his next stop is Ankara, Turkey. He is going to steal that Russian military weapon which we all were talking about." Mitch explained.

"Right now, I don't want you to do anything. Once we all get discharged from the hospital, we will go back to America and discuss this." Irene assured her recruit.

"But that will take too long. Once Grant gets discharged, I can go with him to Ankara from here." Mitch tried reasoning.

"You don't understand Rapp. We cannot let anyone know what you were up to. What are you going to tell to Stansfield and Hurley when they ask you how did you find out Sayyed will be in Ankara." Irene asked

"I'll tell them I found out because of my mission in Istanbul. Sayyed got the information he needed about that military weapon." Mitch explained

Irene narrowed her eyes in confusion "But according to you and Grant, Asad Shaikh was not sharing any information with Sayyed so how did he get the information about the weapon?"

Shit. Mitch thought.

It was true that Shaikh wasn't the one sharing information with Sayyed, it was Aayat.

And of course nobody knew that.

Irene was waiting for an answer. He had to come up with something fast.

"Well yeah Shaikh had nothing to do with it but remember when I mentioned about the attack I had in Istanbul and the tram wreck, it means Sayyed was in Turkey and the weapon had to be the reason." Mitch said

Irene didn't seem too convinced. It was as if he wasn't telling everything. But she didn't push too much.

"Rapp, right now I want you to wait. And don't go bothering Grant about this. He needs his rest. We all do", she said

Mitch nodded, understanding they were all badly injured and needed to recover.

He was about to get up and leave but Irene stopped him "Wait"

Mitch sat back on the chair, waiting for her to continue "When you came back from Istanbul, you told Stansfield that you wanted to go on a desk job for a few days. Now if I didn't know you any better, I know that you are not the kind of a guy who turns down a field operation to go on a desk job and not to mention the sudden change in your attitude. You became so gloomy and seemed so depressed. I know that it had something to do with Istanbul so tell me, what happened over there?"

Mitch knew at some point this was coming.

"Nothing happened there. I was just tired that's all" Mitch justified

"Rapp, field agents don't get tired especially an agent like you", she said

His mind went back to the time he spent in Istanbul. What was he suppose to tell her? That he fell in love with a girl and she turned out to be a terrorist who is working for Sayyed?

He couldn't tell that to anyone. Everyone would just see him differently. They will accuse him and mock him for being weak because he let Aayat get away. But no one would understand him. No one would understand the pain he had been through.

No one.

Mitch was lost in his thoughts until Irene snapped her fingers at him "Earth to Rapp."

He looked at her. He didn't want to lie but he also couldn't tell the truth. He just wanted to get out of the room "Look I had some personal thing going on okay, I needed to clear my head. But now I'm going to go on field operations so there is nothing to worry about."

He got up and left the room before she could say anything.

Irene watched him walk away. She understood that something big must've happened and it was no use prying in his life. He won't say anything nor was he going to let anyone pry in his life.