Death and Consequences

Greywind didn't make it through the night. No matter how much Rose tried to help, the wolf couldn't take the suffering anymore. Greywind whimpered in immense pain from the festering gashes that littered his body, Robb sobbed but nodded nonetheless when Rose asked to end his suffering.

Rose approached the wolf, the wolf who selflessly saved her and Robb during the Red Wedding. Rose could feel the tears run down her face heavily when, despite the pain, Greywind wagged his tail and smiled at his friend.

Rose grabbed her dagger and kneeled beside the wolf, his tonge lolling out of his mouth as she pulled her dagger from her belt. Whispering comforting words about how good he was before she pushed her blade into the direwolf's heart, sobbing as the wolf yelped in pain before going still. Rose could feel the sadness ebb away at her remaining sanity, she thought back to when Greywind would run in circles for hours because he was happy to see her, but now he was gone.

The stories romanticized the pain of losing someone, made it seem like a beautiful thing when it wasn't. The pain was bitter and could make anyone feel empty, knowing that this wasn't a story they could return too where there loved one would still be alive. They were gone, and you couldn't stop them leaving you, but now you would never get to hold them again.

This passing of a friend left Rose and Robb alone in the dark and damp. Rose tended to Robb's wounds by the soft glow of the fire, humming softly over the grunts of pain from his tender skin.

"They are healing swiftly, you will be good as new in a few months' time. Now sit up so I can change your bandages." Rose quickly wrapped Robb in fresh cloth from her dress. Her gentle hums starting once more, making the young King smile.

"When will you leave?" Robb voiced the thoughts that plagued his mind ever since the two entered the cave a fortnight ago, a sigh passing through her pink lips.

"I must leave soon. My father has most likely sent out his men to find me and bring me home, I missed the date set for my father to choose my husband. We will have to decide after King Joffery's wedding, if he hasn't already chosen a man without me." The cave silent as Robb mulled over her words, a frown apparent on his bearded face as Rose resumed her humming.

"You do not have to leave. We can run to the Free Cities together, start a new life as man and wife. I never wanted to be King, but I've always known I wanted you." Robb told her, desperate for her to say something. To tell her that she loves him, as he has done so often.

"I cannot, Robb. I left Sansa at King's Landing, with Tyrion yes, but she is still among those who wish her harm. A wolf in a lions' keep, frightened and alone. I left her to rescue you, Robb. Arya is missing, there are deaths I still need to avenge, and I still have so much to learn. I want to see the Wall again, to kiss little Tommen's head and have Jaime ruffle my hair. I cannot leave." The sadness in the air was prominent as Rose finished wrapping the cloth around his wounds before securing them in place, Robb merely listening to her soft humming.

"My love, what are you humming?" He asked her, abandoning the topic of leaving in exchange for the innocent question. The question was answered by Rose's cheeks flaring red, her eyes set on his bandages, so she wouldn't have to look into his mischievous pale blue eyes. His hand reached to softly rest on her cheek, moving Rose's face to stare into her chocolate eyes that seemed to transform into golden rays that eclipsed everything when the fire flickered towards her eyes.

"It is called 'The Edge of Night', my King. A sad ballad written by a broken man in a time of hopelessness and despair." Rose's smile faded as she pressed her hands flat on his chest, pushing him back before pulling his fur cloak over Robb's beaten body. Pressing a soft kiss on his forehead before lifting his head to rest him on her lap, twirling the wild auburn curls in her hands as she leaned against a smoother rock.