Chapter 14

Chapter 14

It's coming

I was first couldn't give an initial reaction on her because the moment she said that, the scenario goes vividly in my head, and those were still fresh in my memories because I couldn't forget how I suddenly found a dead body on the Landfill. It is becoming the talk of the town before, I think that's when I was sixteen years old, two years ago, and it has been the nightmare of every Null People because from what we have heard, the dead body came from the Noble Land.

"How did that happen?" I asked, still the thought bugging in my head. Al became curious and stopped fixing his tech for a minute to hear her story, he sits beside me while learning this girl's background.

She shook her head, "we never get an answer..." she said, "after hearing the news that you found a dead body in the Landfill, at first I didn't even care to know who it was but when a name circulated around, I just found my elder sister who passed the Rebirth initiation. We don't know what happened to her... that's why I am so eager to know what happened to her."

"But why would you kill us?" Al said.

She sighed, "wasn't my intention..." she said, "and I'm sorry for doing that, but it is enough to get your attention and I did."

"I won't apologize," Al said.

She nodded, "I understand your sentiments," she gave a half-smile, and shift her attention on me, "I hope you will believe me because I won't lie about my sister."

Al and I look at each other, and I get the way his eyes talking on me. He pulled me out of the scene and we headed straight to the bathroom, so we could talk with privacy. He digs out a deep breath before talking.

"I still don't trust her," he started. "she can weave a story like that and can us believe by it."

"No... it really happened, the dead body on the Landfill."

He shrugged off, "you can say that it really happened because you are there, but are you sure that she's the sister of that dead girl? Do you really believe her? She said, you never saw her face, that's one of the reasons why she can't be trusted."

I sighed, "I don't know, Al... I wanna help her but on what you're saying, it gives me second thoughts."

"Looks can be deceiving, and by the words they said, it can fool you." he said, "we can help her, but we can't trust her."

"If that's the only way," I said. "If her intention were true, I hope it's gonna stay the same way and she won't betray us in the end."

He patted my shoulder before leaving me alone in the bathroom. I washed my face and dry it with a towel. I looked myself in the mirror. And I could see one thing from what I have been trying to reach in this initiation; to get what we don't have. And by doing it, it always gonna be a matter of life and death. If I passed the Rebirth, I will do anything to get my Mother to stay in the Noble Land... and if I get to see my brother, I really don't know what to say, he already forgets his family.

I left the bathroom and headed back to her, she's still tied by the rope and by Al's said, I couldn't trust her when I lose it. I sit across to her, Al goes back fixing his tech.

"How did you get here? At the Glass Jungle?" I asked.

"They dropped me here," she said. "from the first day of initiation."

"And what happened when you got here?"

"I find some shelter—and now I stayed in a penthouse in the tower where I can see the next city... and this place doesn't always seem to be glamour because of its surrounding. Glass Jungle is something you shouldn't have come."