Prologue

I'm the Ultimate Lover!!

Haha, no that's not my actual title, but I am known for being a kind and loving person and it is how I got into this school. Though originally I tried to get into Hope's peak for a different talent, the school sought me out for this instead, which is great too! I find it hard to complain about or argue against. Still, when I think of the title 'Ultimate Sweetheart' I can't help but poke fun at it. After all, such a weird talent is something I never would've thought could exist on the Hope's Peak roster.

Now, I don't talk much about myself, or... not out loud at least since I like to hear from other people instead. When people are asked about how they feel, or simply how their day was, they seem to feel a little better despite how their day may have gone. I think the little things like that are necessary to keep this world upbeat, right? So when people ask me questions... it's a bit daunting. I'm not really used to it. But I guess that was kind of my current situation... It was the first day of school after all, and everyone was introducing themselves. 

'I have to do this...!' Is all I thought in the moment. So I stood up confidently with as much unneeded determination as I could gather, and walked to the front of the room, promptly giving them my name.

"I was brought here as the Ultimate Sweetheart! I'd hoped to be scouted for something else... but I guess someone else beat me to it? Anyways, I look forward to my years here with you all, and I'm sure it'll be the most fun I've ever had! Lastly, I just want to say- Don't forget that you'll always be loved by someone!"

Happy for reasons unknown to even me, I skipped back to my seat near the middle of the room on the left of a boy with wild white hair and grey-green eyes. Just as I sat down, he stood up and walked to the front of the room. For whatever reason, I felt like I paid more to his introduction than I did to anyone else's. If I was, it wasn't intentional, but trying not to think much of it, I kept listening.

"My name is Nagito Komaeda, and I'm the Ultimate Lucky Student. Truly a worthless talent for a useless person such as me. I'm honored to be here, though I know I don't really deserve to be, but I hope we can all still get along."

He walked back to his seat looking quite satisfied with himself, and I stared at him in surprise and mild worry. I couldn't help the bit of shock on my face that showed as I did, but suddenly realizing how rude I was being, I turned my head back to the front of the room.

Everyone had eventually finished with their introductions and the teacher waved us off uncaringly.

"You can do whatever you want as long as it involves practicing your talent. When class is over or it becomes lunch, let me know." The teacher then pulled his hat over his face and rested his legs on the desk, soon dozing off.

Everyone seemed to stay in the room for the day, and those interested in talking got to know each other. Others opted towards talking to people they already closely knew or checking out the room they figured they'd be learning in for a while. However, unlike everyone else, Nagito just sat at his desk quietly, smiling to himself as if only happy to be living in this moment.

I wanted to talk to him. I was curious about what he'd said before- and while his first impression wasn't something many would call 'good', it'd certainly made an impression on me. I was a little nervous to talk to him though, so I began talking to Ibuki instead. As we complimented each other and shared some common interests, we were quick to become decent friends. Yet even through the fun I was having, it still bothered me... Didn't that boy earlier call himself worthless...? Shouldn't I be talking to him? Was he was having a bad day and putting on a fake smile? What if he was practically dying inside and here I was worrying about it but not helping him? What if if he wanted to do something drastic and no one knew how bad he could really be feeling!?
Taking a few small breaths, I tried to think more logically. I was probably jumping to assumptions not knowing anything past a few sentences he gave - But with the way he was talking about himself, it did still have me at least wanting to check on him.