Nagito's Punishment Time

After what happened in the reserve course building, it was no surprise that many of you were too overcome with grief to focus on the upcoming practical exams. You couldn’t lie, you were already nervous before, what could you even do with your talent for the media? And worse still, you just couldn’t get the thought of those deaths out of your head…

“Sato-chan… Natsumi-san…!” You covered your mouth to stifle another cry as you read the news in class. Mahiru hadn’t come to school today, but she promised to be back tomorrow. No doubt both her and Fuyuhiko were taking these deaths the hardest. You honestly didn’t think it was fair that they’d have to participate in the exam so soon after something traumatizing…

“(Y/n)...” Nagito quietly called you, placing a hand on your shoulder. He tried his best to cheer you up but it ended with little success. Nagito knew everyone was upset, and he knew that worst of all, none of you would be prepared for the exams like this.

That’s why he’d been planning.

Nagito loved everyone, obviously. So to him, it was only right that he try his best to help postpone the exam dates for your sakes. Sadly, simply asking that the exams be held off didn’t work. Miss Yukizome solemnly told him it was out of her power, or anyone else’s really. Luckily, he had a backup, and that wasn’t nearly the end of it. It was a long process of persuasion, placement, and luck that eventually did the trick. The laxative, the enhancer, the bombs, everything. And though it could barely be linked back to him, everyone knew he was involved. And where did that land him? Suspension.

You had no idea. You didn’t think he’d do anything like this, you didn’t think he had it in him, and you hated to admit that for the first time in your life, you were both angry at him and afraid of him. Angry at what he’d done, afraid of what he could do. He couldn’t have wanted to hurt anyone… But still, he was the cause of the gymnasium exploding with who knows how many people inside! How could he!?

“How could you?” You asked, grabbing his shirt and holding back tears. It was hard for you to wrap your head around, how he could be so heartless and shameless about it all. How he could care so little. You knew he wasn’t one to bear too immense of an amount of emotion, but even he should've known this wasn’t right! Right? You clenched his shirt tighter, you felt a little betrayed...

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault…” He sighed. “Miss Yukizome is getting moved to the reserve course classes as a punishment for my actions. She doesn’t deserve it… But…” He trailed off, holding onto his cheek, still stinging from the slap he received earlier. You were nearly ready to slap him too. Why couldn’t he understand, he’d hurt people, on purpose! That was the issue! He’d planted bombs… and in the end, a whole building-!

“W-what…? Nagito! That isn’t the issue!” You cried, “W-why did you plant the bomb…!? How could you do that so calmly knowing there were people in there!?”

Nagito blanked, it’d been for the greater good right? Was that so hard to understand? Why did no one seem to realize how important it was for the exam to be cancelled?

“Nagito… Please answer me…” You let go of him and backed away slowly. He seemed to be unconsciously glaring, and it only served to scare you more. Did he really not know it wasn’t ok to do that, even for the reasons he had?

“I did it for all of you… So you could have a better chance at the exams… You guys should have a chance to be at your best! Overcoming hardships so when your hopes clash, an even brighter hope can be born from it…!” He sighs deeply, an empty smile having spread onto his face. “No one quite understands… Miss Yukizome told me I’m not a nobody… And uou always tell me I’m special… I’m just trying to return the favor in anyway I can… To repay you all for being so kind to me! But in the end, I still managed to ruin things… I’m sorry.” Nagito laments his guilt. “My luck truly is the stuff of nightmares.” He turns away. “I’m sorry for causing you any trouble, and for making you cry. I’ll leave you to calm down, don’t worry about me.”

“Nagito…!” You reached for his arm, then hesitated, lowering your arm and staring at the ground instead. You stifled another cry, too scared to approach him again and instead, taking the time to calm down like he’d said as he walked away.

When you returned to the room, Nagito wasn’t there. Miss Yukizome entered shortly after to explain something you briefly remembered Nagito mentioning.

“I’m not going to be here for a while. As a consequence of the gym incident, I’ll be transferred to a reserve course classroom for the remainder of the year… Nagito has been suspended for his apparent involvement in the explosion… But please, don’t blame him too much. And when he comes back from his suspension, welcome him with open arms ok?” Everyone groaned. Frustration, sadness, and anger rising quietly in the room. Despite her words, everyone did blame Nagito. A couple of students started tearing up, sad to see their beloved teacher leaving, and Hiyoko ran up to Chisa to give her a tight hug. “Promise you’ll be back!” She cried.

“Of course...” The young teacher smiled sadly, eyes sweeping across the room to take in a last look at you all. She told you all to cheer up, then sadly bid you all farewell.

Nagito failed to tell you himself that he’d been suspended, and naturally you didn’t see him for a while. Eventually, you found that he’d won a trip  to an island, and he decided to go away for a bit. He didn’t want to see you upset and he knew you’d probably want space from him for a bit while you were obviously upset at him. But it was fine to him. It was his fault after all, and so, this was his fitting punishment.