Festive, Confectionate... Confession!!(3)

Everyone was going to meet outside, and like a ball, it'd be a grand reveal of your outfits! First though, a few of you had things to get in the classroom, like you and your cupcakes, or Hanamura and his homemade snacks. Now that you were finally dressed in your yukata, you could grab your stuff before meeting up with Nagito and the others outside. Your cupcakes... and your present for Nagito. Since you'd see him face to face, during a beautiful festival in the dark, and you wanted to confess, today would be perfect. You had a confession note, just in case you found yourself failing to speak. And your present? A special charm bracelet, way more expensive to make than the others; Shiny crimson hearts, forest green four leaf clovers, other accessories, and a single skull charm in the middle.

Along with the charm bracelet, you'd bought him a book about poems that you'd bought in secret while you were at the library together. Even if he didn't like you back that way, at least he'd like the presents right? You had to try first though, get it off your chest at least, see if there was a chance. So you quickly grabbed your stuff, and carefully speed walked over to the top of a nearby hill where your class would be.

.

.

.

You stuffed the charm bracelet and book into your decorative bag, then sat next to Nagito, Hajime, and Chiaki. A few of your other classmates were missing, likely still getting ready, grabbing something from somewhere, or even just getting food. But you all agreed to go someplace relatively quiet with not many people around, that way you could all talk without being bothered. The breeze blowing was soothing, not cold enough to make you shiver, but you huddled a little closer to Nagito anyways.

"I knew it, you look amazing Ko!"

"You're the only one to ever say that to me..."

"That's because I like to say what's on my mind."

He chuckled and patted the top of your head with a light blush, "So, what's on your mind right now? Are you hungry? I-... We could... get something to eat." Nagito said with uncertainty.

"I'm fine, I only want you right now Ko..."

He tensed up, "You may want to rephrase that... Someone could always-... take it the wrong way..."

You laughed with wide eyes, "Do you hear yourself sometimes?? You do the same thing!"

"Ah... I know, I'm pretty used to saying weird things, it's no use correcting myself though, I'll never get it right."

You sat up and pouted at him, "Hey! Not that again... Look, the fireworks are gonna start soon, for now, we can have a cupcake! Well... I already ate mine, but you should eat yours, it'll cheer you up!"

"You can have it if you want, I'm already happy."

"Komaeda...-"

"You two sound like a couple, maybe even like newlyweds!" Chiaki giggled, from next to you. "Yeah, you guys practically forgot we were here." Hajime said from next to her. "S-sorry! That's not what was going on at all...!" You and Nagito both rushed to deny it. You weren't a couple, just friends right? Nagito looked at you while you were still turned to Hajime and Chiaki. Hajime chuckled again, and Chiaki looked at Nagito for a second, then tapped Hajime and whispered to him. "We should leave, I think we're stopping something important from happening." Hajime nodded, and thought up an excuse, "It's a little colder over here, than I thought it would be, Chiaki, do you wanna get a snack and head over to where Ibuki and Teruteru are?" "Sure." Chiaki shrugged, then they left, and you two were alone. It was... a little awkward.

"So..." You sighed. He chuckled back lightly. "Hm? What's funny?" You asked. You looked up at him, waiting for him to possibly say something. "Ah, it's nothing, I was just thinking about how I wanted to be alone with you like this, since we aren't alone often anymore..." He stared at you thoughtfully. You giggled back, "That's because we both have so many great friends!"

"Yeah..." He sighed. You sat there again, in silence for a second, before lights and explosions sounded from above you all. You both turned your heads to the sky, watching the fireworks at play like a movie.

"I've never seen the fireworks with friends before... Thank you for putting up with me (Y/n)."

"It's not a problem Nagito, you're the person I'd wish to see the fireworks with the most anyways..." You replied quietly. You silently pulled your gifts out, still hidden from view of Nagito as he went on another rant. The fireworks continued, streaming colors through the sky as Nagito continued to run his mouth.

"You're always so kind to me even though I don't deserve it, thank you for that! I'll still never have the courage to be this close to you all the time... But as long as I have this friendship, I'll never be sad about anything, I'll keep trying. For now though, I'll never be able to love someone, it's too painful... I don't want to hurt anyone again, so I have to keep my distance." He turned away from the fireworks to look at you again. "You understand what I mean, right?" His eyes gave off a somber look and your smile fell as you stared back. It was like he knew. Did he know? Did he know you were planning to confess to him? Did he like you back... but he truly didn't want anyone to get hurt...? Your questions could all be boiled down to what-ifs now. There was nothing else to say, you knew now that he wouldn't accept your confession for one reason or another. You definitely didn't want to force him to choose between a relationship that could kill you, and having to push you away, possibly ruining the strong friendship you'd both built together...

"I understand." You smiled sadly. The fireworks were dying down, and you could both tell they were coming to an end soon. You crumpled up the confession note behind your back and pulled out the presents by themselves. "Thank you Nagito!" You said, "Thank you so much for letting me be your friend!" He smiled sadly, again, it was almost as if he could tell what was truly going on. As if he'd heard the crumpling sound reflecting a faint heart cracking, even past the cover of the fireworks. But he couldn't, right? Regardless he took the presents from your hand, thanking you profusely for them. The items exchanged were now a sign of your unofficial feelings for each other, and the friendzone you'd now eternally trapped yourselves in. You sighed as you leaned back against the ground. It's better this way, right?

~~~Monokuma Theater~~~
First of all, sorry for updating late, my internet was down, so I kept trying to send this through before going to bed but it didn't work until now...Ť_Ť
So um, the bracelet... Yeah, there should be an official picture for it later so expect an update to come with that eventually, I just couldn't get it done today. Tomorrow is thanksgiving and all here in America, so I ran into some time problems with getting that made on time even ň_ň;
Sorry about that, anyways, I'm excited to post for next time! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!~