Missing Hajime

You expected your second school year at Hope’s Peak Academy to be every bit like the your first and more. Fun, loud, crazy, exciting, dangerous, and so on. But it was different.

Very different.

For starters, Nagito was still gone, suspended, on a trip, and so on. You hadn’t seen him in a while, and you almost didn’t know if you even wanted to.

Your teacher, Miss Yukizome, who had always been like a mother or a close friend to you, was gone as well. Transferred to the reserve course as punishment for Nagito’s actions.

But the most worrying problem of this year, was Hajime.

When the year had started, it started with Hajime. Celebrating his birthday- trying to cheer him up! Yet soon after the deaths of his two closest classmates, he abruptly disappeared. You’d even confirmed it through Chiaki that the situation was a lot stranger than you’d thought, The last time she saw him, he’d promised to play games with her again, and then he left.

So where was he?

The only thing you could come up with was morbid, the possibility that he’d been murdered too. The thought that people might report his body soon scared you. You were already missing so many people, you didn’t want to lose anyone else…!

Again, your second year here, and you and Chiaki had been trying so hard to find him. What if he’d been murdered or kidnapped? How could he just suddenly disappear? But in the end, you two weren’t able to find him. So you worried more, you texted, and you hoped that eventually, he would come back, or you would find that he was safe.

Chiaki was boding just about the same as you, frustrated, confused, and undoubtedly worried. But at least you were worried together. The rest of your classmates had only seen him 4 times at most throughout both years, so they didn’t really know what to do or say about it. They knew you both cared, but after the crisis with Fuyuhiko’s sister, and Mahiru’s friend, they felt that meddling in matters of the reserve course might not be the best idea.

“Chiaki-chan… Do you think it’s possible that Hajime-kun switched schools…? I heard it’s possible that he was dropped from school for not being able to pay the tuition… Or maybe he moved because it was stressful…?” You picked up books from around the room and placed them in the back closet. You and Chiaki were alone in the room to tidy up and talk a bit as the leader and vice of the classroom.

“You may be right, but wouldn’t he have told us over text?” Chiaki cleaned the board slowly, losing focus with distractions from numerous thoughts.

“You’re right… But I don’t know what else could’ve happened...” You stood still for a moment. You two were the only two that were still as bent out of shape about this as you were. Not that everyone else wasn’t worried, but it’d been months, it was the second school year, and it was apparent that you probably weren’t gonna find him anytime soon.

“Miss Yukizome…” You sighed

“She told us to be strong… We can do that, right?” Chiaki reassures you.

“Yeah… Even if he isn’t by my side right now, I should be able to help the class… I’ll try my best… To do something for this class that I haven’t done before...!”

“That’s the spirit (Y/n)...! We’ll be the best class leaders, just like Miss Yukizome always said we were!”

“And when everyone comes back together…” You smiled, “They’ll be happy, and we can tell them how much we missed them.”

Chiaki smiled with you. You both could keep the class together and make sure no one had to feel alone. Neither of you could accomplish both of these things alone, so it was a miracle that you both we’re here, and that you’d become best friends.

“Hey, (Y/n)?”

“Yeah Chiaki?”

“When Miss Yukizome comes back, we’ll hold a big party for her, right?” You nodded, “Of course! And when Hajime and… Nagito come get back... we’ll celebrate that too...!” You yelled. “Yeah!” Chiaki giggled. You felt better now, more optimistic. It was strange that you couldn’t make yourself feel better in most of these situations yet it was easy for Chisa, Chiaki, Nagito, and anyone else really. Nonetheless, you were glad now that both of you were cheered up, and now you had a plan.

“Chiaki-chan. We should take the whole class out somewhere, it’ll make them happy!” You beamed, gripping the broom with a newfound excitement. There were so many things you could try to do, and you were determined to try it all. To see your friends happy, to make Chisa proud- And you’d forgive Nagito, help him through whatever was causing him to act this way. You were missing Hajime. But you wouldn’t let that deter you anymore. You wouldn’t let anything stop you! You and Chiaki were the proud leaders of this class. And it was your job to make sure your friends stayed happy.