How to be a friend

It'd been a month since I had become Komaeda's self-proclaimed friend. He seemed pretty bothered having me around the first day, and I was starting to regret being an annoyance, almost giving up even to avoid making him any more uncomfortable than I already seemed to have made him. He grew used to me soon after though, and it made me wonder what the reason for him seeming distant before could've been. When he first asked why I was trying to befriend him, he stated almost happily that he'd never had a friend before. I would try to press on sometimes, but he wouldn't continue, and I wouldn't dare try to force him any further after that, not after having been so pushy in the first place. Even so, he didn't seem upset at all, and I was glad about that.

Eventually, I had the idea to keep a notebook for us both. It wasn't to be creepy, and it's not like it was like a diary or anything, he used it too after all. It was more of a journal for writing about what makes him happy and things he did and didn't like. He also wrote in his hobbies and things we could do so I could fulfill my quest to help him feel loved! It was almost like a planner too sometimes, but generally, it helped a lot in getting to know him. Turned out he liked to clean, occasionally would sing, and was pretty bad at cooking.

We hadn't gone to each other's houses or anything yet, but I'd say we were getting along pretty well for it only being a month. All of the passion I felt for making sure everyone in class was never left either, but most of it was ultimately in vain as no matter what I tried to do to bond with the others, the students one by one became disinterested in coming to class. I was slowly starting to realize how bad I was at my talent. God... How was this the talent I was picked for...? But I couldn't fret about it just yet, I had to stay determined, and if I started to panic at this point Nagito would notice. Last thing I'd want to do is worry him while I'm trying to help him, because knowing him, he'd probably blame himself for it. So, I was at a loss. Maybe for now at least... I had to give up on that.

Back on topic... During times like lunch, me and Komaeda would eat at the rooftop and talk about various subjects. It was easy for us to make each other laugh, but he was definitely better at it than me. Somehow with his grim sense of humor the execution of his jokes were always a direct hit. He also had a knack for bringing up fun topics whenever he could tell I was feeling down. So when he went on his despairing rants, I would always try to repay the favor. 

Right about now though, lunchtime was peaceful.

-

"Hey, Komaeda? Can I ask you something...?" I played with the hem of my shirt absentmindedly. We were eating lunch at the roof again, and we had just finished sharing another laugh. Komaeda looked to me and nodded. "Of course. What is it?" I gulped and blushed, trying my best to maintain eye contact with him as he held another cute and curious face. It was hard to stop myself from looking away in an effort to hide. "How are you... so good at making me happy? Usually it's my thing to make people smile, to make them feel loved, but when you're around I can't help feeling like you do a better job than me..." My gaze shifted down a bit and he swiftly replied, "I wouldn't say I'm very good at it, but I guess I can make you happy pretty easily? I'm flattered though... That I can make even one ultimate happy by myself is astonishing! So tell me..." He smirked "Is this some kind of confession?" "K-Komaeda! Confession? W-what do you mean...?" My voice began to falter and in confusion, my face lit up like a firework. He chuckled, "I just can't help but feel like I've been promoted to best friend." He tilted his head to the side cutely. "I've never enjoyed being around someone so much! But I'm sorry for teasing you, and assuming I was promoted too I suppose." He looked down, with a disappointed smile, and I could feel my heart crack at the sight.

"Oh! Of course! I-I mean yes..!" I sighed. "I'm sorry for acting so weird, Komaeda..." I moved my hand on top of his to write in and he looked back at me. "I meant... You are my best friend... I'm really sorry... If I messed up and made it sound like you weren't." I took a moment to turn and grabbed the notebook from my bag. I scribbled in it messily, still a little frazzled from the previously flustering conversation. "There!" I huffed proudly and lifted the notebook towards his face. It was flipped to a cleaner page and the words 'Best Friend's Notes' was scrawled in big letters with hearts and stars around it. His cheeks were tinted pink and he momentarily became a bit of drama king. Tearing up and hugging me while thanking me as if I were some kind of saint. I patted his head and chuckled, "It's nothing to praise me for, if anything, you were the better friend here. Now stop being adorable!" I chuckled, and this new light hearted mood lasted until the end of lunch.