Beginning with Hajime

The year was going by fast, you could tell. It'd felt so short, but you were already over halfway done with the school year.

Hajime's Birthday was today! You and Chiaki, as well as a couple of others had gotten him presents and were throwing him a surprise party. Still, he seemed to have something on his mind. That or he was just a highly contemplative person- But he really did seem to be troubled about something... Maybe it was grades? Or perhaps it was something about not having a talent...? He always did seem rather self conscious in that sense, but you thought he was warming up to everyone enough to get over it... Perhaps that was a bit of a miscalculated oversight on your part, but there was still a chance to fix his mood right? Cheering people up was what you did best after all! You turned to look at Nagito.

"Do you think Hajime-chan is ok? He always seems to get more and more spacey as the days go on..."

"I don't know... It's not any of our business anyways though right? It's probably reserve course stuff we wouldn't understand." He gave an icy laugh and you grimaced. Ok, maybe don't ask him for a bit...

"I was just asking because I'm worried about Hajime-chan... It's his birthday and... He shouldn't have to feel so down, you know? I want today to be fun for him, so he can know we're all by his side! Like I am for you, ya know?" When you looked over at Nagito, he seemed a little pissed. Did you say something wrong? "Sorry... I don't know what I'm saying I guess." You sighed.

"No, that's not it... I'm just really sensitive right now. Since last week, I guess I've been more sensitive about things, maybe even overthinking." You giggled. "I see, you sound a lot like me when I'm down."

"That's impossible... My worries are nothing compared to yours, and my feelings right now are too selfish to even be worth a thought."

"Nagito, please don't..." You sighed. "I told you, you're a lot more special than you realize. You shouldn't say things like that. Ok?"

He nodded slowly, and looked forward with a shy smile. "Thank you... If you keep saying things like that, I'll get really full of myself. I still can't believe someone like you is nice enough to care so much about me..."

You huffed again, but you didn't know what else to say. In a way, he had gotten a lot better. He didn't persist against your words as much as he used to, and he didn't talk bad about himself as much either. Still, he never gave up on his thoughts completely.

"We're here" You heard Nagito sigh. You held his hand and walked up to the door. The door opened immediately and you were both pulled in quickly.

"Hide! You two are late! They're coming back any second now!!" Ibuki whispered with a slight shout. She pulled you both into a small closet in the hall and then ran near the front of the house to her original hiding spot. You both avoided looking at each other. It was so cramped and you could feel your thighs squished against his arms. He didn't dare to move, and you started pushing your hands against his chest to try and get a little space. It was getting harder to breathe and Nagito let out a low grunt. This was so indecent... You two of all people shouldn't be this close together. What you'd said at the Christmasparty was enough for you both to know how you obviously felt in this situation, and you both weren't sure how long you could handle this for... You quickly gave up on pushing him away and rested your head on his chest instead to breath heavily. Nagito had to put his arms somewhere separate from your legs, he couldn't stand another second of it. So he slowly pulled his arms up to around back, hugging you after unintentionally sliding his arms up your curves.

The door to the closet opened and you both quickly turned to see Hajime blushing wildly. "Sorry!!" He quickly shut the door you both heard him run back towards the front of the house. He was probably just gonna tell you both the party had started and that you could leave the closet. Regardless, this was really embarrassing... This was meant to be Hajime's birthday, the New Years holiday no less, and here you both were probably suspected of more dangerous antics. "I'm s-sorry...!" Nagito whispered, "We should get out of here before anything else happens..." He moved to open the door, and as soon as it opened you both fell out. You almost landed harshly on your back- but Nagito had been quick enough to save you. Holding onto the door, he caught you with an arm around your back and pulled you back up to him. Once he got a grip on himself again, he quickly moved off of you in a heartbeat with a brightly flushed face. Unable to handle the situation, you could see his eyes flaming with twisted swirls of emotion. A kind of hopeful look, mixed with desire and despair, you know the one.

"I promised I wouldn't let you get hurt again, I-I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable or anything though. I swear I didn't mean to- I-I'll leave for a second, I need to cool off if you don't mind- I'd hate to cause you anymore trouble!" He gasped before running off without giving you a chance to respond. He left out of embarrassment no doubt. You watched him leave with wide eyes, and slowly fell to the ground with a flushed face as well, calming your breathing before getting back up to join the others in the front room.

Hajime's house wasn't hard to navigate, so you found your way quickly, unaware of if you were mad or thankful for what Ibuki had done. When you'd made it to the front room, Nagito wasn't there yet, probably still flustered. While everyone was cheering the happy birthday song to Hajime, Nagito snuck into the room unnoticed. And when you were all done singing and passing Hajime presents, you approached Nagito. At first he tried to escape, but there was no way you'd let him, not yet. You had to ask him something important, and as he continued to mumble various apologies, you grabbed him by the wrist and cut in. "Nagito...! D-do you feel... l-loved yet?" You looked away when he finally turned to you. You'd almost forgotten to ask today, and you were sure you'd be too flustered to talk to him again after this. God, maybe this was too contrived?

"..."

He went red again and couldn't manage to make out any words at first.

"...I-I don't know-" He gently peeled your hands off of him and ran. Still needing to calm down, it was for the best that you two didn't see each other much for the rest of the night. Too many things were happening- You both needed to chill out a bit, and this gave you a chance to do something important before the day could come to an end. Something you had sworn to do.

You found Hajime sitting with Ibuki and Chiaki and smiled. He was laughing with them, a genuine smile on his face, and you were relieved to see him finally happy. Maybe you didn't have to worry too much after all? You walked over and sat down with them, joining the fun and apologizing to Hajime while you were at it (Explaining the situation's innocence was hard too, but you managed). The rest of the night was set up for fun.

As for the rest of this new year, one problem would rise above the rest.

Were you and Chiaki up to the test??"