Chapter 61

Chapter Sixty One

I learned something a little sad and a little interesting on the car ride to the night club. After about twenty minutes of enjoying the silence, Sebastian had turned on the radio and my ears had been filled with the bland, bizarre, soulless music that was growing increasingly popular with every single year that passed us by.

The current song sort of reminded me of "Every Time" by Britney Spears but without the same depth of melody, which was saying something fairly bad considering "Every Time" hadn't been all that complicated of a song to begin with. Replace the instruments with technological audio and you have an idea on what we were listening to.

Music of the present day and age continuously failed to impress me with its lack of inflection. I made a face around the same moment that Sebastian sighed through his nose and grumpily flicked the radio back off.

Silence filled my ears, save for the rushing of the car and the intense wind.

"I take it you think its boring and lifeless, too?" I asked, giving him an amused glance when he settled back with one hand on the wheel; his other lay draped across mine.

"It lacks life," he lowly informed me, shaking his head. "Music used to inspire me, but now... it is simply empty. It always lacks what once made it what it was."

I nodded to myself since I agreed with him.

"That's why I make my own music," I admitted, and he turned to stare at me for a second; I could see his eyes glinting faintly behind those dark sunglasses. "Is there anything you'd like to hear?"

He tilted his head and stared at the road, illuminated by the street lights passing us by; beyond him and the road were mountainous cliffs and valleys with beautiful glittering cities stretching towards the sky, filled with traffic and life. My hair drifted around in the air current.

"Out Loud."

I twitched, staring at him more intently, heart skipping a beat.

"What did you just say?" I asked.

"I said, Out Loud," he gruffly repeated, squeezing my hand. "I would like to hear it."

And that, my friends, is how I learned that Sebastian's favorite song was made by one of my favorite YouTubers from the early two thousands. I swallowed hard, feeling my hair standing up because this song was one of the first I'd ever covered after the internet had been erased.

Most YouTubers had been jobless after the war for many years until MeTube had come along. It was basically the same principle as YouTube, but more difficult since there were more restrictions and it paid far less than its predecessor website. Not that I was surprised, since prices on things like food and electronics had skyrocketed since I'd been an adolescent.

"I still taste your presence..." I hummed, smiling faintly when he whipped his head to stare at me; his face went slack, brows rising, lips parting slightly as I continued, "once sweet but it turned sour... tried to shake your indifference... but its too late now. I hear you in the quiet... I see you when I'm in the dark... you just couldn't fight for this, but its not your fault..."

"You know this song?" he growled as I took a deep breath. "How do you know this song?"

Instead of answering, I squeezed his hand with my mouth breaking into a joyful grin and strongly bellowed, "say what you mean out loud! Drowning in silence when I'm lost in the crowd! 'Cause every sweet thing... you never speak... is deafening! Never knowing what could be! Wish I could show you how... but you're just a ghost now..."