Chapter 169 #

Author's note: FROM THIS POINT ON, CHAPTERS WILL BE EXTREMELY LONG! Enjoy!

____________

Chapter One Hundred and Sixty Nine

My engagement ring gleamed on my finger like moonlight as I rubbed my my thumb against the underside of it. I lay sprawled out on the couch, my hair spread out above my head so I wouldn't move the wrong way and tug on it with the shifting of my body, ankles crossed.

Voices filled the air around me like a warm haze.

My eyes shifted from the beautifully inscribed ring and I saw my family... my whole family, milling around the huge, plush, velvet-filled sitting room just off the entry hall. Leo and Richard were standing by the bookshelves, holding hearty cans of beer and talking with my nephew, who was also holding a can of beer and seemed somewhat surprised by how much he was enjoying himself.

Jun and Kyle were sitting in front of Ralph and keeping the little kid entertained with wild little stories about foxes and wolves that could talk and did their best to protect the critters of the forests. My grandnephew was wide-eyed with awe, hunched forward and drinking every word, but I was more surprised by how invested the Korean man seemed to be.

Maybe Jun likes kids, I noted, watching as he made exaggerated faces and hand movements as he weaved the story. He certainly has a knack for telling them stories that get them excited.

Horst was busy playing some sort of handheld game that Erika had coaxed him into trying, and now he seemed addicted, focused on trying to beat it while she hovered over his shoulder and offered tips on what to do. They seemed to be getting along better, unlike a few hours ago, but with a bit of personal space and calmness... well, the two spoke for themselves.

I smiled faintly and glanced at Tiffany, who was resting against Woody's chest on another couch and talking baby stuff with an excited Agatha, my nephew's wife. The plump woman was, to be completely honest, a picture perfect wife and an extremely lighthearted person. She didn't even know us, all she knew was that most of the people here were abnormally big and intimidating.

She'd seemed uncomfortable after being introduced to everyone, but then she'd encountered Tiffany and the topic of morning sickness became involved, and suddenly it was all about babies, what to do, what not to do, advice and tips and mommy-related conversations. Tiffany was soaking it all up like a sponge, even asking questions, while Woody just grinned like a fox and held her tight against him... proud and happy and completely at ease.

Nikki was the only one who wasn't getting to know us in the room. She'd wandered off to take a look around the house and see what it was like. Louise, Kip, Jak, Diana, Cassidy, the Nereid twins, and the Meyer brothers, on the other hand, were all busy taking care of the final preparations for our Thanksgiving dinner.

I sleepily turned my head back towards the ceiling and raised my hand again.

Looked at the gorgeous engagement ring.

A smile slid across my lips as I touched it with gentle fingers, caressing the material proof of Sebastian's devotion to me. Someday, the two of us would be married... someday, maybe even someday soon, we would have a wedding. I didn't care if it was big or small, I just wanted it to be official--but knowing him, he would most likely go all out because he was just that kind of guy.

I sighed, and Agatha Robertson turned to look at me almost on instinct.

"Oh?" she said in a cheerful tone, drawing my attention; I rolled my head on my neck to look at her as she walked over, grinning from ear to ear. "I know that sigh... who's the lucky guy, hm?"