Chapter 10-- The Funeral

Jane's P.O.V

When we got to the airport, my aunt Gloria and her husband were waiting for us. She smiled when she saw me and gave me a big hug.

"My little pumpkin, I missed you! You've grown so much! Why didn't you come home? Wait, how come you and Aiden arrived together? And who are these men behind you?" She asked while holding my cheeks.

"Gloria, give the poor girl a break. She doesn't need all that right now. This is the first time you are seeing her in years, and that's all you could ask?" My Uncle Carol said, hugging me.

"I'm sorry, Aunt Gloria. This is Mr. Greenwood, my boss, and this is Mr. Smith his friend. I'll explain everything when I get home" I said.

They exchanged greetings with Liam and John.

"Let's go home sweetheart," My uncle said, and we walked towards the car. My heart was beating so fast. I don't want my nightmare to be a reality.

He can't be dead.

We parked in front of my grandfather's mansion. Growing up, I've always known my grandfather was very rich, but my mom left his house ever since she finished high school. She wanted to be independent, which is why she left for America. She wanted something different.

We got out of the car and the maids took our luggage. I stopped at the front of the door feeling scared to enter. What if it's true?

I won't forgive myself.

For a moment I stood at the same spot, remembering the last conversation I had with him three weeks ago.

"Jane, how is it going? We all miss you. When are you coming home? I want to see you soon in person, not on the phone," Grandpa Joe asked. I smiled. "I miss you too. I promise to come home soon. I can't wait to see you," I replied. He stayed quiet for a while on the phone. He let out a deep breath before he continued. "Don't forget your family. Whatever it is you need, you can always come home. I want you to be happy no matter what, and remember I love you. You don't need to go out of your way to make us proud. I've always been proud of you, and I always will," He said, and I could imagine a smile on his face.

"Everything is going to be fine," Aiden said, stopping my train of thought. I nodded and we entered.

When my mom saw me, she rushed towards me to hug me. She held onto me so tight. I could feel her love and how much she missed me. I fought my tears because that would just make her cry more.

"Mom..." I said in a shaky voice. She pulled away holding my face. I could see she had been crying, and I finally let out the tears.

So it's true.

We all loved Grandpa so much that we thought and prayed he would live forever.

"The funeral is going to start in the evening, it was grandfather's wish," She said trying to hold back her tears.

"Who are these young men?" She asked clearing her voice. I wiped away my tears and turned to face Liam and John.

"Mom, meet Mr. Greenwood my boss, and Mr. Smith his friend. Meet my mom" I introduced them. "Welcome to London, I heard so much about you," She forced a smile. "Thank you, ma'am. I'm sorry for your loss," Liam said.

I looked up to see my sister standing upstairs, watching us. I guess she's still mad at me. Our eyes met and she walked down the stairs.

"Look who finally came home. The prodigal child," She said bitterly. "I guess it takes someone's death for you to leave and someone's death for the queen to come back," She added staring at me coldly.