Special

A toddler River ran around the house as Emmett chased her. She laughed as she hid from him.

"Where are you? You little squirt." Emmett pretended to look for her even though he knew where she was. He waited, giving her a chance for her to give her position up. He pretended to be clueless until he found her, grabbed and tickled her.

"Emmy." She said giggled out loud before she finally slipped from Emmett's arms and ran to hid behind Jasper,"Jessy protect me. Emmy wants to eat me." She screamed out laughing.

Rosalie and Alice smiled at this as they looked up from their magazines. The house has never been more lively, the cold walls to filled with joy and laughter. It felt nice to them.

Jasper smirked evilly, pretending to try and catch her,"Not you too Jessy." River giggled running past Esme.

"Hey!" Esme warned.

"Sorry mommy." River yelled from behind Esme after passing her. River entered Carlisle's office to hide. She looked around the room, fascinated by white walls and a glass deck.

Soon she forgot she's trying to run and hide from Emmett as she walked towards his white doctor coat on the hanger. Touching the fabric of the cloth and studying it. She finally decided to grab it and puts it on. She rolled the sleeves as it was too big for her and walked towards his glass deck and set on his white chair before looking around the neatly, packed deck and found nothing interesting. Her eyes landed on a nice wrapped box on top of highest shelve where she couldn't reach.

Whenever she asked her dad about it, he brushed it off saying,"I will tell you about it when you're older." It only made River more curious.

Which is why she was dragging one of the chairs next to the shelve. Making sure it was in the right position before she climbed on top of it. She whimpered when she couldn't grasp it. She then stood on her tippy toes at edge of the chair and reached for it. She grinned when she felt it against her finger tips. She leaned in further, stepping and tripping on Carlisle's white cloth causing her to fall.

She grabbing the shelve to prevent her fall but it ended up following her. She winced when she heard a crash but felt nothing as she closed her eyes tightly waiting for the impact that never came. She opened her eyes slightly to see what was happening. Something transparent was shielding her from the fall and shelves. She looked around herself confused and worried.

Her face turned towards the door that slammed opened,"River." Edward called out worried as he stepped in.

"River, what happening?" Esme entered followed by others.

"I don't know, mom." River started to panick.

"River, calm down and take down your shield." Rosalie walked closer to the shield.

"No, stay back. I don't want to hurt you." River said with teary eyes.

Mistakenly Rosalie got too close and was blown away by the shield around River. Rosalie crashed against the wall across the room.

"Rose!" River called out worried and concerned with tears in her eyes.

"Hey, hey." Edward stepped in with a hush tone,"I need you to look into my eyes and start breathing. Slowly." He instructed.

River does what she's told and looked into his eyes as breathed, copying his ever move. Soon she was calm as she dropped to the ground without a shield protecting her or preventing her fall.

"Good girl." He said picking River up to his hip,"it okay." He whispered repeatedly in her ear as she buried her head in the cock of his neck and cried. He brushed her head, comb through her locks of hair with his fingers, smoothing her. He looked at Rosalie,"are you okay?"

"Yeah." She whispered.

"What the hell was that?"

"Emmett!" Esme warned.

"It some kind of shield." Jasper speculated.

"It was protecting her." Rosalie answered still amazed by River and what she's capable of.

"I'm going to put her down." Edward announced as he was about to walk away.

"I'll do it." Rosalie said taking River into her arms. Rosalie carried River in her arms up the stairs before laying down on River's bed next to her. She brushed hair away from her face, studying her breathing.

"I'm sorry." River's breaking voice whispered.

Rosalie leaned on the headboard and brought River closer to her,"it okay. It was not your fault." She comforted,"it not your fault." She repeated before leaning in to place a firm kiss on River's head.

River wrapped her arm around Rosalie's waist and rests her little head on the side of her waist before she drifted off to sleep.
                                                          •••

The stone of the necklace glowed

                                                           •••

"She has been asleep for the whole day." A voice whispered.

River woke up to hushed voices outside her bedroom, she decided to ignore them and go back to sleep. She soon felt the bed sink beside her.

"River, sweetheart." Carlisle's voice whispered in River's ear as he shook her a little to wake her up.

"Daddy." She responded before slowly sitting up.

"How are you?" Carlisle placed the back of his hand on River's forehead,"are you okay?" He asked concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She shrugged.

"What happened?" Carlisle asked.

"I don't know." She looked down ashamed as she told him this,"I was falling and I wanted to stop myself from falling and I didn't."

Carlisle nodded,"Have you ever done this before?"

"Maybe. I don't remember." She said,"what wrong with me?"

Carlisle took River's hand into his before looking into her eyes,"nothing is wrong with you. You're just too special." He said.