Recovery

River laid in a hospital bed in Forks, unconscious. She has been for the past few days.

Carlisle made sure he was the only doctor checking and keeping an eye on her. While her family were by her side every time, never leaving her. Specially Edward, he felt guilty for what happened. They all did but not as much as Edward. Rosalie didn't hide for a fact that this was his fault, adding to his guilt.

River lost too much blood, two broken ribs and two were bruised really badly, head trauma and internal bleeding. Due to her nature, she should have healed in no time but she wasn't healing fast as usual. That's what they were most of worried about and the fact she has woken up by then. Death was almost lingering above her and everyone knew it.

Another day came Carlisle came down to check on River to see Edward there, the same place he left him last night by her side. He continued checking River's vitals,"still the same." He voice out loud. He heard Edward sigh and Carlisle placed his hand on his shoulder.

•••

Bella lied in a hospital bed, her leg bandaged in a cast. In bad shape. Renee hovers over her, tears in her eyes. On the dresser, she saw get well cards and a photo montage of her friends from Forks.

The first thing she said,"Edward? Where's?" She looked around.

"He's asleep." Renee nodded across the room to a chair in which edward pretended to be asleep,"he never leaves. And your dad's in your River's room."

"River? What... happened?"

"Baby, you fell down two flights of stairs and through a window when you found out River was in an accident." Renee explained.

Bella is drawing a blank, confused. Renee jogged her memory.

"River was in a car accident. When you heard about it, you tried to rush back from your hotel to Forks to help her. You tripped on the flights of stairs."

Bella still confused but realised it's a cover story,"is she okay?"

Renee's face dropped,"they spent the whole day trying to dig broken glass out of her skin and she lost a lot of blood, she had internal bleeding, head trauma and two broken ribs and few were bruised."

"Will she be okay though?"

"They still don't know." Renee broke news.

Bella's face was horrified. She didn't even get the chance to know her little sister and she never even apologised for what she did to her with Edward, if though she didn't mean it. Now she was going to have to live with that guilt.

Renee's phone beeped,"it's Phil. He's worried about you."

"Mom, you're texting." Bella joked.

Renee smiled,"I told him to stay in Florida. The Suns signed him."

"That's great mom."

"Jacksonville is always sunny and you'll have your own bathroom."

"Mom, wait. I want to live in Forks. I have dad, River, friends."

"And he's there."

Bella shrugged, conceding the truth.

"Charlie doesn't like him. Blames him for your leaving."

"What do you think?"

Renee lowered her voice,"I think that boy is in love with you."

Bella smirked as Renee grinned. Bella glanced at Edward,"um, mom, would you mind getting dad? I want to talk to him. Apologise."