A Line Between Friendship

River snapped her head towards the voice and frowned at the boy in front of her. He looked to be around her age, long black hair, tan skin and brown eyes. River studies him further.

She has never socialised with anyone else outside her family. She preferred it that way. She isolated herself from the world. It felt safer.

She knew she probably looked stupid not saying anything and just staring at the poor boy,"hi." She greeted back.

"I've never seen you around here. I thought you must be new. So I just thought I should introduced myself. My name is Jacob but my friends call me Jake. I live down in reservation." Jacob introduced himself.

River continued to stared he was handsome for his age with a slender but muscular figure. He seemed friendly,"it nice to meet you Jacob. But I have to go."

"Wait will I see you again?" He asked

River half smiled,"maybe. Bye for now Jacob." She said before running back home. A smile didn't leave her face as she entered the house.

"Hey." River said walking through the kitchen, grabbing an apple.

"Wash your hands and that apple, River." Esme said still unpacking the boxes. After she heard River taking a big chunk, she rolled her eyes,"nevermind."

River smirked through the apple as she took another bite.

"You know you're going to get yourself sick, right?"

"It will pass." River said not at all caring.

"Hey, where have you been?" Alice shouted coming down the stairs.

"Outside, exploring the wonders of nature."

"Why did you run off when I was calling you."

"I didn't hear you." River pretended to shocked and confused.

"You can't run off like that, River." Rosalie warned, concerned as she frowned.

"Why?"

"This isn't Alaska. There are far more dangerous creatures out here." Jasper said.

"I'm live in the house full of vampires. I think I can handle myself." River said opening the fridge to get something to eat.

"River!..." Rosalie yelled.

"Rosalie!..." River mocked," you should be happy I actually made a friend. I think." River says raising an eyebrow unsure.

"Really? Who?" Alice asked excited.

"A boy. He was cute."

Edward raised an eyebrow, listening closely.

Emmett chuckled, amused when he noticed Edward's reaction but Edward glared at him making Emmett laugh even harder.

"Do we know him?" Rosalie asked.

"What is that?" River puts her hand behind her ear like an echo," I think dad is calling me." She said trying to use that lie as an escape.

"No I didn't." Carlisle said walking into the room.

"Traitor." River mumbled.

Carlisle chucked before ruffling her hair,"come on, sit." He said,"we need to talk about our living arrangements here."

"Same story?" Emmett asked.

"Same story. I already enrolled you in Forks high." Carlisle said,"all the necessary arrangements have been settled."

"What about River?" Rosalie asked frowning.

"What about River?" River asked confused when her Na!e is bought up.