Connected

"Hey." River said as she looked up at Charlie.

"Hey, I'm glad you made it." Charlie said.

River smiled,"yeah sorry I'm late. Got lost." She explained.

"You're actually early. Come in." Charlie said stepping aside to let River in.

"You have a lovely home." River complimented looking around the house.

"Thanks." Charlie said,"I rarely cook and the only dish I can make is spaghetti and meatballs. I did put a little effort." Charlie rumbled nervously.

"I'm sure it just as delicious." River said trying to make the awkward and tense atmosphere less awkward and tense. He was making an effort to be apart of her life, to make amends, to make her feel welcome the least she could do is meet him halfway. She smiled at him before looking at the pictures on the wall and shelves. She picked one up,"is this Bella?" She asked showing him the picture in her hands.

"Yeah. She's about a year or two older than you."

"What happened to you and her mother?" River suddenly asked.

Charlie taken back by the question unexpectedly,"we married young. She loved traveling and she wasn't happy here. She hated the weather and She wanted to relocate to someplace warmer."

"Why didn't you relocate?" River asked.

"I wanted to but it was bad timing. My parents were sick so I had to stay behind to look after them. By the time they died, it was too late for me and her mother." Charlie stared into open space as he explained,"we were two young, different people who wanted different things. It didn't work out. When we divorced She left and took Bella with her. She use to visit every summer break."

"Use to?" She asked.

"Yeah she stopped suddenly making excuses not to visit." Charlie said sadly,"I don't blame her. I'm barely at home when she comes around anyway. I'm always working to visit her."

River frowned sadly,"I'm sure she will visit soon, I would really like to meet her." River said with a firm smile as she placed her hand on his forearm.

Charlie placed his hand over River's and smiled,"I hope so. I want you two to know each other." Charlie said kissing her hand before caressing it. They were interrupted by a doorbell,"I forgot to tell you. I actually invited a friend. Who I wanted you to meet." Charlie said running to grab the door.

"Okay." River said once again nervous.

"Hey, Charlie." A man behind the door said,"is she here?" He said.

"Yes, come in." Charlie stepped aside letting them in.

"Where is she?" The man asked.

"River." Charlie called,"this is my daughter, River. River this is Billy." Charlie introduced.

"Hello." River greeted with a smile but frowned weakly when she noticed Billy studying her in an uncomfortable way.

" and..."

River looked at the boy behind him pushing his wheelchair,"Jacob." She said.

"You guys have met." Charlie asked.

"Yeah, a few times." Jacob answered with a smile.

"This is the famous River. She must gets her good looks from her mother." Billy commented playing along.

River blushes,"thank you."

"What do you mean? I'm also good looking." Charlie defends himself. The three of them laughed at Charlie. Charlie and Billy continue to laugh as they walked in the kitchen.