Baseball Part I

"I wanted to formally introduce myself. I'm Edward." Edward extended his hand.

Charlie took it,"hello," he grunted, resisting him.

"I won't keep bella out late tonight. We're just going to go play baseball with my family."

Charlie looked at Bella,"Bella's going to play baseball." He said surprised.

"Yes, sir that's the plan."

"Well. More power to you, I guess."

Edward looked into his eyes,"she'll be safe with me, sir, I promise."

As Edward exited, Charlie held Bella back,"you got the pepper stray, I gave you?" He whispered into her ear.

"Dad."

                                                              •••

Within the Cullen residence nothing changed. The more they spent time with Bella, the less time they had for River. They were so focused on her, she was the centre of they world and attention, even conversation. She felt like she was in a dark corner where she was forced to watch. She felt like she didn't belong, and she wasn't part of the family.

They were having a family outing like they use to, so they forced River out for a baseball game. A family tradition outing, they've always had. This made River feel included.

While in the field she played with both her brothers, Jasper and Emmett. For once after a while she could smile, really smile. She missed this. She laughed as she pushed Emmett with a little force from her ability.

"Rivers." Emmett groaned as he fell and rolled away. He was the only one who added 's' to her name and she didn't know the reason why. When he got up, he began chasing her. She expanded her shield in front of her so Emmett couldn't touch her.

"Emmett, River." Carlisle scoffed at their childish behaviour but smiled, he was happy River was laughing and smiling again.

River huffed before taking down her shield. Emmett gushed at the opportunity to ruffle her hair.

Her happiness was short lived as Edward pulled over and got out with Bella. It seems like she's taking one step forward and two steps back. She just can't seem to catch a break.

Emmett and Esme left to go and greet Bella.

"Good thing you're here. We need a umpire." Esme said.

"She thinks we cheat." Emmett said with a big crooked grin.

"I know you cheat." Esme shouted to Emmett," Call 'em as you see 'em, Bella." She said to Bella.

"We don't but I know for a fact River cheats."

River snapped her head at the mention of her name,"what did I do?"

"You cheat, that what you do." Emmett said.

"I do not." River placed her hand on her chest and lied.

Storm clouds gathered up in the sky.

"It's time." Alice announced.

Emmett looked at River intensely,"I'm watching you." He pointed two figures to his eyes and back to hers.

River rolled her eyes,"you can relax Emmy, I'm on your team."

"Okay, I'm cool with that." Emmett suddenly agreed.

River once more rolled her eyes at his hypocrisy but she laughed at it. Bella stayed with Esme who played catcher. Alice pitched with lighting-fast speed. Edward and Emmett took their positions in the outfield.