Control

"Kate, it good to see you." Carlisle said welcoming Kate from the Denali.

"Same here Carlisle." Kate said,"where is the little one?" She asked.

"Aunt Kate!" River came running to hug her legs.

Kate went to pick her up to her hip,"you've grown. How can I call you little one if you're not little anymore?"

River giggled,"Yes you can't." River grinned proud of herself for growing.

"That means I can't take you out for ice cream or pick you up anymore. You're getting heavy." Kate said with fake disappointed and tired expression.

"No! I'm little again." River said.

Kate laughed before placing her down,"go and get ready."

River nodded before running upstairs.

"No running." Carlisle warned looking up the stairs.

"Sorry daddy." River yelled.

Kate followed River until she disappeared behind the stairs before turning back to Carlisle,"she's too young for this, Carlisle."

"I know." He said before sitting down,"she gets stronger each passing day and I fear she might hurt someone or worse herself."

Kate nodded her head, understanding him,"have you heard anything from Katherine?"

"No, but she sent me a letter for River. She said to give it to her when she was ready. And a picture." Carlisle took out a folded piece of paper and unfolded it before giving it to Kate.

Kate took it before studying it,"what does it mean? Who is this?" She looked at Carlisle confused.

"I don't know. She didn't say." Carlisle said taking in a large unnecessary amount of air, clearly stressed.

"Katherine sending this picture means she has something and she's getting close to it." Kate said with hope.

Carlisle smiles hopefully,"I hope so cause River's life depends on it." He said looking upstairs.

                                                            •••

"Feel it River. Let it run through you, let it take over your body." Kate says.

River struggled as she grinded her teeth together.

"Close your eyes. Concentrate River." She ordered.

"I'm trying." River yelled frustrated and a blast of energy blew everything around her but Kate and Edward reminded standing.

"You see. You can't let your emotions take the best of you." Kate yelled.

"Kate." Edward warned. He inverted his gaze from Kate to River before kneeling in front of her,"want to know a secret." Edward asked making the girl curious as she nodded,"I also have a superpower just like you." Edward said in hushed, soft tone.

"Really?" River asked amazed,"what is it?"

"I can read minds." Edward answered.

"Are you sure? Can you read mine? What am I thinking right now?" River asked playfully.

"No, not always but now you're thinking how mean aunt Kate was."

River gasped with her eyes wide open,"Eddie?" She blushed out of embarrassment.

Edward chuckled,"Don't worry, you want know what aunt Kate is thinking?" Edward asked.

River shakes her sideways constantly meaning no she didn't.