Chapter 26

MIA'S P.O.V

Food shopping is one of my favourite things to do. Especially when I'm doing it alone, cause that means that I can buy anything I want without a parent telling me that it's unhealthy. I get chocolates and chips for me and gingerbread houses to decorate. It's a tradition in our family, we do it every Christmas, it's super fun.

Paying for everything I hope into the train and plug my earphones in. It's going to be a long ride!

After 1 hour and 45 minutes, and a bus change, I arrive at my destination.

I go up to the front door trying to balance all the things that I got and ring the bell. What is taking him so long? I start knocking until he gets up. I roll my eyes.

The door opens finally! It's cold outside doesn't he know that? Is he that oblivious or he just doesn't want his warm ass to get cold! Now I realize that he was speaking but I didn't catch anything he said so far.

Oops!

"Mia?" Axel is standing in front of me, mouth agape and eyes blinking fast as if he can't believe in what they see.

"Hey!" I say smiling.

"I bought us gingerbread houses to decorate, hope you don't mind, " I push past him and go to the living room happy to see the fireplace on but confuse as to where is the blanket fort?

"What are you doing here?" he asks me once he got over the initial shock.

"I came to keep you company for a few hours! No one should be spending their Christmas alone, " I say putting down all the snacks I brought.

"But...what about your family? Do they know you're here?" he looks panicked.

"Relax handsome, I told them that a friend was going to be alone all day and I didn't even need to ask them if I could come to visit for a few hours my mum basically rashed me out of the house, " I giggle at the memory of my mum pushing me out of our house.

"Thank you, " he says quietly.

I can tell that he meant it with all his heart and that makes me even happier. When he told me that he would be alone today I couldn't help myself but feel bad for him. He doesn't deserve this kind of treatment from his adopted parents. I came to dislike Rebecca as well for not standing up for him, for not putting an ultimatum. How can you let your husband treat your son like that?

My eyes look towards the only source of the sound, which is the tv.

"Oh, home alone, I love that movie!" I say excitedly.

"Okay let's actually make a fort first, " I grab the blankets and Axel comes and helps me with them.

After a few minutes our fort is built I brought fairy lights with me of course and decorate it. It looks so warm and cosy. I can't wait to dive in!

"Do you want hot chocolate? I can make you one, " Axel asks me while already heading towards the kitchen.

"Yes, please! You didn't even need to ask me, " I open the two gingerbread boxes and unpack everything organizing them on the coffee table.

"Here you go, " he places the piping hot cup of hot cocoa in front of me.

"Thanks, " I offer him a wide smile and he gives me one too.

"You really didn't need to get in all this trouble and effort for me, " he gets in the fort we made and lays down, his eyes never leaving mine.

"I guess we both like to do things because we want to and not need to, " I smirk, remembering what he did for me for my birthday.