Chapter 56

After the tears dry down and his hiccups got silent, his breathing fell back into a steady beat and finally, after a few hours, sleep took over his mind.

We only ended up having 4 hours of sleep that night but I wasn't complaining. Getting to know his past better was worth it.

We haven't talked about his childhood again, meaning that I haven't asked him about the little scars on his arm. I don't want to seem like I'm prying or possibly tricker bad memories.

Maybe one day I will.

The rest of the days we spent them either in bed or the couch watching movies and tv series, arguing about the characters, cooking together, turns up Axel is a pretty good cook. We went out on a date one night and if Axel wasn't that nervous it might have been an even better date.

It's been a couple of days now since that night. I open the cupboard and get a few extra spices that I need for the food that I'm making us.

Axel was having a long ass shower, it's been an hour. I stir with a wooden spoon the stir fry adding a bit more chilli. I lower the temperature and grab two plates putting them on the side.

"Axel are you done already?" I yell waiting for a response.

"Yeah, damn kitten you don't need to tell! I'm right here."

He was standing at the opening of the kitchen rubbing his ear wearing plain grey joggers and a white t-shirt on.

"Is kitten now my new pet name?"

His being calling me different pet names every day.

"I'm still figuring what is the best pet name for you angel, don't worry I'll find one soon."

He comes closer to me and places a kiss on my forehead grabbing the empty plates he holds them for me to put food in them.

"Just don't decide on a cringy one please."

I put an equal amount of food on each plate and shoo him away with the wooden spoon.

"I'm not so sure about that. I might just pick a cringe one just to annoy you, " his smile widening.

I scoff and shake my head before closing the stove and everything and taking a seat next to him on the table.

"Can I ask you something?" I say as I brush some strands of hair out of his forehead.

"Even though I have a feeling that I'm not really going to like the question, go ahead."

He takes a sip of white wine, yeah we went fancier today.

"Yeah, you're not going to really like it but it's not that bad."

"Shoot babe."

"Why don't you warm up to Rebecca a bit? She is not that bad when you really think about it. Yeah, she is at fault as well don't get me wrong but maybe she deserves a chance."

I poke my food around a bit before taking a bite.

"After my stay with the second couple, I didn't want to trust anyone else or get my hopes up. I came to the realization that I'm never going to have a loving parental figure in my life and I was okay with that. I've practically survived for the first 11 years of my life so what's the point in even trying to let someone in when all they are going to do is break me in the end. I admit yeah, Rebecca isn't that bad. I mean in comparison with previous foster families she is an angel but I just..." he drops his fork and grabs his hair tucking them before letting out a loud sigh.

"I'm scared. I don't want to get disappointed or hurt again."

He avoids eye contact with me as he speaks. I grip his chin and turn his head to look at me.

"You have been staying with her for 10 years now, to me, it doesn't seem like she ever gave up on you. Isn't that an indication that she truly cares and loves you like her own son?" I was a little bit confused as to why isn't he giving her a chance since he sees she's better.

"Sometimes I feel like she is trying too hard, you know? Like she is trying to be extra nice and extra caring but at the same time she can't even stand up for me against her new husband. She tries to scold him and shut him up, that's why she is even fighting with him but I don't know it doesn't seem enough in my eyes."

"You should tell her how you feel towards her then. Probably she doesn't even realize that you think she's trying too hard, for her she probably doesn't try enough, which is the complete opposite. Nobody can read your mind, Axel, she won't know until you tell her, " I rub his cheek with my thumb staring at him.

"I don't know if I can do it though. I've always tried to keep my answers as short as possible to get her to go away and show that I'm not interested in speaking with her."

"What if you invite her for dinner here and we can cook and I can officially meet her. I'll be here the entire time if you want me to hold your hand or something, " I ask with a hopeful expression on.

He shakes his head and removes my hand from his cheek before standing up and grabbing our now almost empty plates.

"The food was amazing baby. Thank you for cooking, next time though, wait for me I'll help you out."

He places a kiss on my head and before putting the plates in the sink and starts cleaning them.

"It was nothing. I semi enjoy cooking!"

I grab our mugs and place them in the sink for him to clean too before leaning on the counter watching him.

"Well, I really enjoy cooking especially when you're doing it with me, " he winks at me making me shake my head.

When he's done washing the dishes he washes his hands and closes the tab. He wipes his hand on the kitchen towel and approaches me. He places his arms around my waist and shoves his face in my neck. It must be an uncomfortable position for him since he's way taller than me.

"How does Friday sound?"

I run my hand up and down his back frowning at his question.

"For what?"

He pushes his face out of my neck standing straight now.

"For dinner with Rebecca, I'll send her a text now, " his words make a small smile appear on my face.

"Sounds amazing, " I say and lean up kissing him.

It was just a quick peck nothing much.

"Great, I'll go text her now, " he says before pulling away from me and grabbing his phone on the way to our bedroom.

I'm not that great when it comes to giving advice but this I feel was a good one so I'm happy he listen.

A/N

Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well!

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

More to come soon...

Thank you all so much for reading my book and commenting & voting it means a lot to me! ❤️❤️

Feel free to comment & vote as always! ❤️

Have a nice day and night! Xx

All the love - M ❤️