Chapter 61

The next day was long and exhausting. It felt like the whole village wanted to come and visit me now that I was awake, and as much as I loved my friends, there were really only two people I wanted to see. Kakashi, and Sasuke. Kakashi stayed with me for the whole day, which I was grateful for, but I had to wait to be discharged before I could go see Sasuke, and Sakura seemed to be taking her sweet time making that happen. The door to my hospital room opened, and I was about to badger Sakura for taking so long, but it wasn't Sakura. It was Tsunade. What could she want? She's probably really busy rebuilding the village. Why is she here?

"You're awake." She smirked at me.

"I am." I smiled back. Her face broke out into a smile.

"I'm glad. You had us worried." She scolded. I rolled my eyes. It's been the same thing all day. "I have a couple of things I want to talk to you about." She said seriously. I raised an eyebrow. Work already? I just woke up. "I want you to become the next Hokage." She said, and my eyes widened in shock. Me? Why me?

"But why?" I asked, still shocked at her statement. She sighed and put her hand over her face.

"I knew it wouldn't be easy. It never is with you." She muttered. "I want to retire. It was between you and Kakashi to take over, and I chose you." I blinked slowly at her, not fully understanding. "Look, if I had my way, both of you would be Hokage, but I had to choose one." She shrugged.

"Then choose Kakashi." I said sternly. His hand tensed in mine. I knew he wouldn't like my response.

"I don't want to be Hokage! We've talked about this!" He deflected. I groaned.

"Minato wanted you to be Hokage. He told me that he was training you for the job before he died, and that it would take some convincing, but I should make you do it." My jaw dropped. Minato said that? He wants me to be Hokage that badly? "He's right. You're a good fit for the job. You have strong leadership skills, and a level head when you need to. You earned the respect of the other four Kage during the war. They agree that you're a good fit. And you can train Naruto to take over after you. If you train him well enough, you can even retire young." She said with a smirk. I sighed. She made good points, but I don't like it.

"I don't have a choice, do I?" I said, defeated.

"Nope." She smiled. "If you said no, I was going to order you to, so I'd suggest you do it of your own will." She teased. I groaned.

"Fine. I will be the Hokage." I muttered. Minato owes me when I die for making me do this. I don't want to be Hokage.

"Great! We can talk about the transition later." She smiled. "The other thing I wanted to talk to you about is Sasuke." My body stiffened. I didn't really want to talk about him. I wanted to see him, but I hadn't fully worked out my feelings about him yet. "I want to know your opinion on pardoning him. Naruto wants it to happen." She said carefully. I shook my head as anxiety filled me. I was not ready for this. My heart rate quickened, as could be seen from my heart monitor. I willed it to slow down, but it wouldn't. "I see. I'll let you think about it." She said again before walking out of the door. I nodded. I hated to admit it, but I was scared of Sasuke. I willed myself to forgive him, but every time I closed my eyes, I saw his sword being stabbed into me, and the indifference in his eyes. I don't trust him. I'm terrified that he'll try to kill me again.

"They'll kill him if he's not pardoned." Kakashi said bluntly. I nodded in understanding, trying to get my heart rate under control.

"I know." I said and closed my eyes tightly. I didn't expect this to be so difficult. I didn't want Sasuke to die, but I couldn't bear the thought of him running free either.