Chapter 53: The Seller

Night has fallen on the city of Gotham as Redwing and Orphan stand on top of Wayne tower heading towards the office of councilwoman Noctua.

"Before we start there are a few things you should know when hunting the Court of Owls." Caleb tells Cass, causing her to nod for him to continue. "1. Expect a Talon around every corner, 2. Always stick to the shadows, stay out of sight, and 3. Always keep moving, never slow down."

"Understand." Cass tells him.

"Good now follow my lead." Caleb says before leaping off the roof of Wayne tower to run across rooftops with his girlfriend right behind him. While they are jumping from roof to roof the couple hears a steam for help coming from an alleyway in front of them. Cass looks at Caleb while they rum and Caleb merely nods to her before jumping down from the rooftop down onto the mugger as Cass lands next to him kicking the other thug into a wall knocking them out. And before the person who cried out for help realized what had happened the two vigilantes were already gone, scaling the building to get back to the rooftops of Gotham.

After about five more minutes of running on rooftops they reached the office of councilwoman Noctua. As Redwing and Orphan perch on a building facing the office building Caleb activates the contacts that Nightwing had given him, glowing bright red as he scans the building to find that there was no one there.

"Building's empty, let's move." Caleb says grappling to the roof of the building in front of him. Once on the roof of the building that councilwoman Noctua's office is in Redwing pops a great off of a ventilation shaft that leads into the building. As Cass walks up behind Caleb he jumps into the vent feet first stopping himself at mid way down the air duct so he could crawl to another part of the building. As Caleb makes his way through the building using the air ducts, Cass is right behind him as they approach councilwoman Noctua's office.

Redwing then pops the vent cover off but catches it before it hits the ground as he lands without making a sound. As Caleb starts walking towards the councilwoman's desk Cass lands in the room behind him and the two start searching the office for any hidden or stashed away documents. As Orphan searches for any hidden compartments in the office Redwing is going through Noctua's desk. After about 10 minutes of searching Caleb had gone through every drawer in the desk but one that happened to be locked and had found nothing that pointed to what the Court of Owls' new weapon is. He then pulls out a lockpick from his belt and gets to work getting into the final drawer, and when he gets in all that's there is sensitive government fails but nothing hinting at what the court has planned.

"Have you found anything?" Redwing asks turning to Orphan, but she just shakes her head no telling him what he needed to know. Caleb then clicks on his earpiece to call Barbara who is currently in the Bat-bunker under Wayne tower monitoring the building's security system. "Batgirl, how do things look on your end?" Redwing asks.

"No alarms have been triggered, no one should know that you're there." Barbara tells him through the comms.

"Good, can you pull up my feed while i check her schedule to cross reference any names?" Caleb asks.

"You got it pulling it up now." Barbara tells Caleb as he grabs Noctua's agenda off her desk and starts flipping through pages for any appointments or meetings that stand out. "Can you go back a page?" Barbara suddenly asks, causing Caleb to turn the page back.

"What do you see?" Redwing asks.

"Noctua met with Cadmus a few days ago." Batgirl tells him.

"And who are they?" Caleb asks.

"Cadmus is a big name in genetic engineering. They made Superboy." Barbara says

"Wait what?!" Caleb asks.

"Cadmus made Superboy, the clone of Superman and Lex Luthor." she tells him.

"Ok, Orphan let's go. We got what we came for." Redwing says, walking towards the office window. "They're here." he mumbles as he spots movement in the shadows on a building next to them.

"What we do?" Orphan asks.

"We run or we fight." Caleb states matter of factly, opening the window in front of him.

"What's going on? Why was an alarm tripped?" Batgirl asks through the comms.

"We're leaving." is all Caleb tells her as he jumps out the window and grapples to another building with Cass right behind him. As the couple lands on a roof Caleb turns his head to where he previously saw movement and spots three shadowy figures running towards them.

"We running or fighting?" Redwing asks with his billy club in hand.

"You lead." Cass says causing Caleb to nod.

"Let's have some fun." Caleb says, spinning his billy club around in his hand with a smirk hidden under his mask. The three Talons then emerge from the shadows charging towards the couple who are standing their ground waiting for them to get closer. As the first Talon lands on the roof that Redwing and Orphan are on, Caleb pulls out two wingdings and throws them stabbing into the Talon's chest. The other two talons then land behind the first as the wingdings in their chest start beeping and proceed to explode. The two remaining Talons then pull out a few knives each throwing them at both Redwing and Orphan but the couple manages to dodge the knives before charging at the Talons. As the assassins and vigilantes charge at each other Orphan jumps spin kicking one of the talons in the face while Redwing slides beside his Talon spinning and hitting them in the back of the knees with his billy club cousin them to collapse. As Redwing is standing up he pulls a sword off the back of the talon before decapitating them and tossing the sword to Orphan who easily catches it. The finale remaining Talon then goes to punch Orphan but she docs under the punch stabbing the sword through their chest before forcing the blade to cut through the Talon's side. Cass then hands the sword back over to Caleb who proceeds to stab the sword through the head of the Talon struggling to get up, ending the fight.

"You need to be s...so violent?" Cass asks softly looking at Caleb as he puts his billy club away.

"We've been over this Cass, they're already dead." Caleb says placing his gloved hand over her masked cheek.

"I kn...know b..but..." Cass says, looking into Caleb's eyes.

"But we can't treat them like normal criminals, they are so much more dangerous." Caleb tells her, pulling down his mask with his hand that isn't on Cass' cheek.

"I know." Cass says as she pulls Caleb's hand slightly off her cheek so she can remove her mask as well. "I j...just no like kill." she says still looking into his blue eyes.

"I know." Caleb says looking back into Cass' brown eyes as he places his hand back on her cheek. Cass then wraps her hands around the back of Caleb's neck and pulls his head towards hers as their lips connect in a quick but passionate kiss.