Chapter 44: Costumed Weirdos

(A/N) this is my obligatory Halloween chapter that comes out on Halloween so hope you enjoy and I'm not sure how many holiday chapters I will be doing in the future it will depend on how I fell at the time.  

-S.L. 

It had been a couple weeks since the meeting with the bats and Caleb was still working with Nightwing almost every night, Cass would join them every few days and Barbara would occasionally pop by the Bunker when the Wing Patrol returned for the night. The only other vigilantes Caleb saw since the meeting was Stephanie who would occasionally pop by to talk to Cass, and Jason who Caleb met up with once to just talk while they sat on a roof.

Tonight however was Halloween and the streets were going to be pact till dawn and everyone would be wearing masks so Caleb headed to the Bat-bunker at about 7:30 to see where Nightwing needed him. When Caleb got to the bunker he saw that no one was there and as he walked over to the computer he got a call from Dick.

Caleb then answered his phone with a "what's up?"

"I'm just calling because I got an alert that you entered the bunker so I thought I would check in." Dick tells him through the phone.

"Ya I'm here. Do you want me anywhere in particular tonight or are we just hitting the streets?" Caleb asked.

"I won't be with you tonight, I'm taking Damien trick or treating but Cass will be joining you shortly so just hold tight till she gets there and the two of you can hit the streets." Dick tells him.

"Understood, have fun." Caleb says.

"Thanks and ah be careful out there." Dick says.

"You know me." Caleb tells him.

"And that's why I'm telling you to be careful." Dick responds before hanging up. Caleb then tosses his phone onto the desk in front of him before getting up to change into his Redwing costume. After changing Caleb sat back down at the computer and started checking police scanners while the news played in the background. The crime sprees had not started yet, seeing as how the sun was just starting to set as Cass entered the bunker in her Orphan costume.

"Hey." Caleb says as he spins the chair he's sitting in around to face Cass.

"Hi." Cass says as she walks over to him.

"So you wanna head out now or give it like 5 minutes for the sun to set?" Caleb asks.

"Wa...watch sun set." Cass says.

"We could do that." Caleb says as he gets out of the chair he was sitting in and the two walk over to the elevator that goes to the roof of Wayne tower.

The two then sit on top of Wayne tower watching the sun set before they jump off the top of the tower to patrol the streets. As the night went on they stopped a few reckless teens who were trying to rob a convenience store, some thugs in clown masks who they assumed worked for the joker from robbing a bank and some guys in rabbit masks who were trying to rob a jewelry store.

Caleb and Cass were now sitting on a rooftop overlooking Gotham as they took a quick break from roaming the streets by rooftop. They then heard someone land on the roof behind them so they quickly spun around while Caleb pulled out a couple wingdings only to see that it was Spoiler walking up to them.

"Hey." Caleb says as he puts the wingdings away and Cass just nods to her friend.

"Hey to you too." Spoiler says as she walks up to them. "Have you two really been out all night?" she asks which causes Cass to nod again. Stephanie then looks to Caleb for his answer.

"What she said." Caleb tells her pointing to Cass.

"Why are most of my friends costume wearing badasses who don't take time off ever?" Stephanie asks.

"Gotham need us." Cass tells her.

"But aren't there others out tonight who could handle it? You could have joined me and Harper, we watched the original evil dead." Stephanie says.

"Good movie and who else is out tonight?" Caleb says before walking over to the edge of the building and staring out at Gotham.

"Isn't Dick out somewhere?" Stephanie asks.

"Trick or treating with Damien." Caleb tells her.

"Hm, that's what Tim said he was doing too." Stephanie says.

"The brothers are out trick or treating together so what?" Caleb says while trying to hide the shakiness in his voice. Cass seems to notice something is up with Caleb but says nothing.

"So it's just Batman, Batwoman and Batgirl out tonight?" Stephanie asks.

"Th..think so." Cass says.

"Fine, I guess I'll join you for the rest of the night." Stephanie tells them, causing both Caleb and Cass to nod before the three start roaming the streets by rooftop.

The three manage to stop another break in and a couple of muggings before the sun starts to rise and they call it a night.