Chapter 42: No Hate

Caleb woke up still tired and sore from his fight with Killer Croc last night when he rolled over in his bed to see Cass standing beside an open window.

"Cass?" Caleb said groggily while rubbing his face.

"It true?" Cass asked when she realized Caleb had woken up.

"What?" Caleb responded, still waking up.

"Is it true?" She asked again.

"Is what true?" he asked her.

"You are Nightwing sidekick." Cass asked.

"Ya I am." Caleb told her.

"Why I not know?" Cass asked him.

Caleb then sat up and moved so he was sitting on the edge of his bed and said "For 1 how am I supposed to contact you and B last time I saw you you stabbed me so I didn't think you wanted to see me."

"I sorry." Cass mumbles.

"It's fine, you were mad at me, I get it. I hate me too." Caleb says.

"Mad yes Hate no." Cass says causing Caleb to just stare at her. "Hate w...what you do n...not you." Cass tells him.

"Same thing." Caleb says as he pushes his hair back.

"Not same! Can be good." Cass says.

"You and Nightwing seem to think so." Caleb tells her.

"You no think so?" Cass asks.

"My preparation to fight the court has made me exactly what they want in a talon so no I don't think I can be good." Caleb says.

"I ra...raised to kill be we...weapon. I not what they make me." Cass says sitting next to him on the bed.

"Then you're stronger than me." Caleb says letting his hair fall.

"I not str...stronger." Cass says.

"You're not going around nearly killing people, you've changed." Caleb says.

"you are trying to." Cass tells him.

"Cause Dick refuses to give up on me." Caleb tells her.

"When it start." Cass asks.

"What being his sidekick?" Caleb asks Cass, causing her to nod. "The day after you stabbed me he approached me on the street to talk to me about it." Caleb told her.

"Sorry for st...stab..stabbing you." Cass says.

"Ha, I was hoping you were going to kill me." Caleb tells her, causing Cass to just stare at him. "I wouldn't have to fight it anymore, they'd bring me back and I'd just be a talon." Caleb says.

"No think like that." Cass tells him.

"Why." Caleb says.

"They win. All you do mean nothing if give up." Cass tells him.

"I guess you're right." Caleb says. "If you don't mind I'm going to go back to sleep cause I'm tired." Caleb tells her lying back down on his bed.

"You just wake up." Cass says.

Caleb then checks his phone and sees that it's 7:30am and says "and I got 2 hours of sleep so I'm tired." Cass then walks back over to the open window and starts to exit the room before Caleb says "it was nice seeing you again. Hopefully we can do it again soon."

Cass then turned back to the window and froze for a second before turning back to Caleb and asking "ca...can I join you?"

"What, in going back to sleep?" Caleb asks her, causing Cass to nod. "Sure why not." Caleb says. Cass then lies down next to Caleb and the two fall asleep.