Ch. 4 The Speech

"Fuck him. Fuck his agency. Fuck his stupid office. Fuck the ugly carpet in the lobby. I hate all of it."

The bartender handed you another shot, which you downed quickly. 

"Firing me on a Friday, at the end of the day. Of course he waits for a moment when I can't say anything back. What a coward, just like the rest."

She handed you another shot. 

"And another thing," you said, downing this one just as quickly, "if it wasn't for me, he would be completely lost. He doesn't even know how to use email. Email. People hardly even use email anymore and he still doesn't get it. He says its dumb and a waste of time."

"Seriously?" the bartender asked you.

"'That's what I have you for'" you said, mimicking his voice. "Well good luck with your email, asshole, because I deleted all of my files before I left."

"Damn, that's petty," the bartender said, "But your boss sounds awful. You're better off without that job."

"Yeah, awful. At least most of the time. 80% of the time. Or at least 50%. Anyway, what else should I expect from a hero, right?"

You looked around the club again, still no sign of Dabi. It was still early though. You were just starting to feel a little nervous that he might not come at all when your phone rang.

But it wasn't Dabi.

"Oh, look who it is! The man himself," you said, seeing Bakugo's name on the caller ID.

"Maybe begging you to come back?" the bartender asked.

"Doubtful. Probably just remembered a few things to yell at me about and wanted to get them off his chest."

His chest, you suddenly remembered, your heart racing just a bit.

No.

Stop it.

You answered the phone, but he was talking before you even had a chance to say anything.

"The speech you wrote, where is it?"

"I left it on your desk but I'm fired, remember?"

"Did you save it somewhere?"

I thought about all of the files I deleted before I left.

"No," I said.

"Why the hell not? That was dumb."

"Excuse me? Are you seriously-"

"Where are you right now?" he interrupted.

"That's none of your business, but I'm actually at a club downtown. Why?"

"Good. Then you're not far. I need you to go get the speech and bring it here, now."

"No way," you said. "You'll just have to wing it. Sorry."

"Y/n..."

"I said no. When a lady says no, you have to respect that, because without consent-"

"Will you shut up and just do it? I can't leave here."

"I don't work for you," you sang into the phone.

"Y/n."

It was the way he said your name this time that made you pause and kept you from hanging up.

"Please."

That was a word you hadn't heard him say before.

Against your better judgment, you checked the time. Dabi should be here soon, but it probably wouldn't take long to taxi over to the office, get the speech, and bring it to the ballroom.

It was going to be close, but you could probably make it happen. It also wouldn't be the end of the world to make Dabi wait on you for once.

You sighed.

"Fine. But I want overtime pay on my last check. I'll call you when I get there."

And then the call ended. No 'thank you,' no 'you're the best' or 'you're not really fired,' nothing. Jerk.

----

You held your breath as you entered the ballroom and tried to act sober as you walked through the room.

A whole ballroom full of heroes, dressed in their black tie best, congratulating themselves on what a great job they'd done. Disgusting.

And obviously Bakugo belonged here with them.

You were dressed for the club, showing too much skin for an event like this, but you were just drunk enough to not give a fuck about the eyes of every male hero, and some female, that followed you as you walked through the room.

You remembered the way the heroes in your old town had looked at you when they knew what you could do. The way they had avoided you. Blamed you.

A girl who could read minds was terrifying indeed.

Heroes were supposed to help people, you thought. But that hadn't been your experience.

They're all the same, you thought, no matter how hot they are.

It wasn't hard to find Bakugo seated with the young men who had stopped by the office. 

Bakugo's eyes were wide when he saw you, and he immediately stood up and came over to get the speech.

"Would you like to join us?" Shoto asked. "We have an open seat at our table."

"I like this seat," you said, sitting down in Shoto's lap instead. Shoto didn't stop you either.

Bakugo halted right where he was and stared at you.

"Where's the speech?"

Rolling your eyes, you held up the envelope.

But when he reached for it, you pulled it back.

"Not so fast."

You watched his red eyes narrow at you and you could almost hear a growl forming in his chest.

You leaned back against Shoto who, for his part, didn't seem too bothered.

"Shoto, did you know that he fired me today?" you asked, putting an arm around his neck. 

"Really? That doesn't seem very smart."

"Exactly. But he must be about to rehire me because he has me working off the clock right now."

Bakugo was still staring at the two of you and you swore you could almost see steam coming out of his head.

"Hand it over," he growled.

"Only if you ask nicely, explosion boy."

You heard his friends at the table snicker.

"Y/n. Quit being stupid."

"Do I have my job back?"

"No."

"Then no deal," you said standing up and waving to the group. "It was nice seeing all of you again, especially you, Shoto, but I'm headed out. I have a date waiting on me."