Ch. 55 Party Crasher

Dabi, where are you?

Of course, the one night you actually wanted Dabi to be there, he was nowhere to be found. It was already ten minutes after the time you'd told him, but as you looked around out the back exit of the building into the dark alley, you didn't see anyone.

What if he didn't show up?

Dabi was going to be there tonight, you knew he was, he just had to make it dramatic. With no sign of him, you went back inside to wait. Leaning against the hallway wall, you slid down to sit on the carpet, your legs out in front of you.

"Y/n? What are you doing back there?"

Startled, you looked up to see Midoriya walking toward you, his brow furrowed at the sight of you sitting on the floor.

"Oh, I was...looking for the bathroom."

"They're up front."

"Oh."

"Y/n... Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, sure, of course, everything's great."

Midoriya nodded. You thought he was about to leave, but he didn't. Before you could say anything, he sat down next to you on the carpet, leaning against the wall, too.

"It's a big party," he said simply.

"Yep."

"Lots of people."

"Lots."

Midoriya sighed. "Y/n. I know we don't know each other that well, but... why are you pretending to be engaged to Shoto?"

You started to answer, a lie forming in your head, but then you looked at Midoriya and realized there was no point to lying.

"How'd you know?"

"Shoto talks about you all the time, but somehow it's never actually about you. That probably doesn't make sense, but I've known Kacchan since we were kids and... I'm sorry, this is out of line. It's none of my business what you do."

"No. It's okay. Really."

"There are so many people here," he continued, almost as if he were talking to himself, "and I don't understand why there are so many police officers. I know that we work with them on cases, but I didn't know that Shoto was that close with so many. Also, I didn't see any of their spouses, which was weird, unless spouses weren't invited, but that's weird, too, and Hawks keeps wandering around like he's on patrol and I don't know. Sorry, I'm rambling. I should get back."

There it was again, that uncomfortable feeling you felt earlier from him.

Midoriya stood up and held his hand out to help you up from the floor.

"I can't wait for tonight to be over," you said quietly as you stood up and adjusted your dress.

Midoriya nodded. "You read my mind."

You immediately froze. "I... Midoriya. He told you?"

"Told me what?"

You blinked.

"What?"

Midoriya's head tilted, and his eyes narrowed as he stared at you. "You said... Nevermind. Nothing."

That was your cue to go. You started backing away, heading for the back exit again. "I'm just going to step outside and get some air for a minute. Too many people."

"Yeah," he said. "Too many people. Hey, y/n?"

"Yeah?"

"If you need something, all you have to do is ask."