Ch. 21 Trophy Wife

"Bakugo!" Todoroki called out over the sounds of sirens and traffic. The structure fire was mostly contained now, and all that was really left was some clean up and reports to file.

Bakugo heard Todoroki but ignored him while he surveyed the damage. From the early reports, it was another fight between villains, it appeared, the same as last time.

But this time the fight hadn't been in an abandoned warehouse. Bakugo watched as the police escorted people to ambulances and helped them find blankets to stay warm. Most civilians had fled the scene, and they'd managed to rescue a few who hadn't. People actually lived in this building, but these villain bastards didn't care. Where would they take their war next?

Not everyone had been lucky. They'd found a pile of burned corpses at the back of the building, just left behind and unidentifiable. Civilians? Villains? Who knew? No matter who they were, Bakugo would have preferred to be able to notify families, but there was barely enough left to even do that. Revolting. This had to end before more people were hurt. They had to figure this out and do it fast. 

Todoroki saw Bakugo leaving, so he gave his sidekicks their instructions and dismissed them before running to catch up with him.

"Have a minute?" he asked Bakugo.

"Not really."

Todoroki looked around as they walked and noticed the police were starting to leave. "I think everything is starting to wrap up here. I already told my team to go so they could start on the reports."

"Good for you," Bakugo said, still walking and rolling his eyes at the mention of Todoroki's "team." It was so dumb that he had that many sidekicks, given the amount of missions they went on. Having one or two sort of made sense, but this many? At what point did you stop being the hero when everyone else was doing hero work for you?

"My driver is going to be here soon," Todoroki said, "can you stop for just a second so I can talk to you?"

"Your driver, eh? Wouldn't want to inconvenience you, sir," Bakugo said with exaggerated politeness.

The driver, the sidekicks, the penthouse. Bakugo respected Todoroki's quirk, but hated the rest of the act. It all seemed like an act at least. He couldn't deny that it played well at events though; the press loved Todoroki and the glamorous side of young heroism he represented.

But even though the newspapers were impressed, neither Todoroki nor Bakugo had broken into the true top ranks yet. True, they were still early in their careers, but the older crowd of established heroes was a tough one to break into. It was hard to get team up missions unless you played the game and schmoozed at the parties, something Bakugo felt was completely fake and unnecessary.

"Start talking or leave me alone," Bakugo said while he started taking off his gauntlets and mask. "Unlike you, I don't have a team of people do my work for me."

"You had at least one, if I remember correctly..."

Bakugo shot him a glare and turned to walk away.

"Speaking of that," Todoroki said when he caught up again. "That's what I wanted to say. I wanted to thank you for the other night. And just thank you in general."

Bakugo continued walking, not even glancing over. "Thank me for what?"

"For introducing me to my wife."

"Huh?"

"Well, my future wife. I'm talking about y/n. I've decided that I'm going to marry her."

Bakugo laughed but then saw that Todoroki's expression was anything but joking.

"Oh, you're serious? You go on one date and now you're getting married? Are you on drugs?"