Ch. 8 The Midnight Job Interview

<from before you were fired>

"I've been looking over the books today," you said to Bakugo, "and I think there are a couple clear ways that we could make this agency more profitable and make more money."

You came around to stand next to his chair behind his desk, putting the documents in front of him.

"Look at this one," you said, leaning over to point at the spreadsheet you'd been working on. You reached across him and pointed out a couple numbers. "See what I mean?"

When you looked at him to check that he was following along, though, he wasn't looking at the papers. He was looking back at you. You hadn't realized that when you leaned over, your chest was pretty much right in his line of sight.

Whoops. 

You both immediately looked away, him going back to his computer and you going back to the spreadsheets.

"Do what you want," he said without looking at you. "I hate all that bullshit."

"I know, but at least look at it," you said. "For example, if you would stop breaking things when you're mad, we could save a ton on furniture. It's all right here –"

"I said do what you want. I didn't become a hero to make money."

"Well, I need you to at least make enough to be able to pay me and keep the lights on for this place, okay?"

He scoffed.

"Fine, I'll take care of it. Sorry to bother you. It's not like I worked on this all day or anything," you said, gathering up the spreadsheets off his desk.

"Give me those," he said gruffly, reaching for them and tugging the papers from your hands.

"No, you said you hated this stuff."

"I said give them here," he said again, trying to pull them from you.

"You're going to rip them."

"Then let go."

"You let go."

"No, you let go."

Until finally you both let go and the papers went flying all over his desk and the floor.

With a groan you dropped down to start picking them up.

You'd just finished when you realized that Bakugo had come around to the front of his desk to help you, which meant that he was now standing right in front of you. And you were on your knees right in front of him. And this was a thousand levels of awkward.

"Um, here," you said, holding the papers up for him to take. He took them and went back to his desk.

"Anyway," you said as you stood up, desperate to change the subject, "why did you become a hero?"

"To kick some villain ass."

You rolled your eyes at that answer. "How noble. So self-sacrificing."

"Hell yes it is. People aren't going to be safe if those assholes are allowed to run wild. Someone has to take them down."

You considered that. "I guess that's as good a reason as any."

"There aren't many people who will sacrifice themselves for others, unless they're getting something out of it themselves. And most of the ones who will do it anyway are idiots. Remember that."

"Thank you for today's lesson, oh wise one."

You were already headed back to your desk when you heard him say something behind you.