Ch. 40 A Good Night to Get Drunk

It seemed like a good night to get drunk.

At least that's what Denki Kaminari thought.

Bakugo had been perfectly happy staying home, alone, and re-reading one of his favorite books before these two guys showed up. His book tonight was the one you had chosen from the shelf the day you told him about your quirk. You'd picked it at random, not knowing that it was one he'd read more times than he could count.

"It's Friday night, guys, and we are going out. There's a bar I saw the other day on patrol," Kaminari told Bakugo and Kirishima. "We could go there. It's in kind of a rough area, so I don't think any fans would bother us."

"You mean those screeching teenagers that show up everywhere you go?" Bakugo muttered.

"Are you sure you don't leak your location to them?" Kirishima asked.

"I mean.... Sometimes...." Kaminari admitted.

Bakugo rolled his eyes. He put his book down on his table and continued to regret the fact that he had allowed Kaminari and Kirishima to come over.

"What can I say, my fans are the best!" Kaminari yelled as he went into the kitchen.

"Come out with us. We haven't seen you in ages, man," Kirishima urged. He knew his friend was hurting, despite how much Bakugo tried to hide it, and he hated seeing him like this. "It would be good for you."

"I thought it would be best to lay low for awhile."

"Are the police still bothering you?"

"It's all a fucking mess," Bakugo groaned. "I'm not supposed to do any patrolling until everything is cleared up, but y/n apparently won't talk to the police and set things straight, so nothing is happening. It's like we're in a standstill."

"They really think you raped her. That is so messed up. Why won't she just tell them that you didn't?

"I don't fucking know."

"Have you tried calling her?"

"No. Both the police and my attorney said that I'm not supposed to have any contact with her. I have a couple friends on the force who said they'd try to get in touch with her, but so far nothing. It's like a concrete wall we can't get past."

The police had told him to stay away until everything was settled, but he also remembered Dabi's words outside the hospital. As angry as he was about this whole situation, he knew what that guy was capable of and didn't want to be the reason anything worse happened to you.

The guys had filled him in that you were living with Todoroki now, anyway, and as much as the mere idea made Bakugo want to destroy an entire city, he at least knew that you had someone near you who could protect you. He hoped.

Kirishima turned on the tv and started flipping channels until finally turning it to a hero news show.

"Oh shit," Kirishima suddenly said. "I'm sorry, I'm going to change it," he said, fumbling to find the remote again.

"What are you talking about? ....Oh."

Images of you and Todoroki flashed on the screen. Walking down the street, him holding your hand, while the reporter spouted what he was sure was complete bullshit about your mysterious romance.

"How do I even do this? Your remote is so confusing!"

"It's a power button, dumbass. Give it here." Bakugo took it from him and turned off the tv.

"I'm so sorry."

"It's fine."

"We both know it's not. Until you told me what the police were saying, I didn't even realize that the two of you were like that," Kirishima said. "I mean, I kind of guessed, but she's so nice and you're so..."