Chapter 40

Essence

“Ms. Harrison, do you know who you are?” An unknown male voice asks.

Unable to fully open my eyes and fully see who he is he speaks again, “I am Dr. Farming, glad you have woken up. Can you see me?”

“My vision is extremely blurry.” Telling him in an audible tone.

As he continues to examine me, I hear Lucas’s voice lace with worry, “is she going to be alright?”

When Dr. Farming was finishing examining me, he spoke softly, “I will be in to check on you in the morning. Get some rest.”

Walking out of the room, I can vaguely hear him and Lucas talking. Moments later Lucas is standing beside the bed.

“How are you feeling?” He questions.

“How long have you been here?” I ask barely audible.

“The entire time. I went to see you. I found that coward an-”

“And your girlfriend,” I say interjecting.

“She is not my girlfriend. I wish I never talk to her.”

Silence fell over us as Lucas’s face was etched with a cocktail of emotions.

Pushing myself to talk, “What do you know?”

“I know you were abused the majority of your life. I wish I would have got to you sooner.”

Staring into his eyes, unable to formulate the words to say to him. Feeling the warm tears as they stream down my face.

Lucas spoke breaking the silence, “since you came in, they have been checking to make sure you are not pregnant. All the tests have come back negative. I have been trying to get in touch with your brother, he is not answering his phone.”

“Andre left his phone; he is working out of town. I open the door because I thought Dre left his keys as well. Instead, he was waiting for Dre to leave and I was alone. When I ran to the backdoor your ex was- “

“I wish I never meet her. As a man, it is my responsibility to make sure our child is safe and protected and I failed in that area. I shouldn’t have ever been with her, I should have done more to shield Kendric from her.”

“Our son?” I question with confusion as I continue, “you won the custody case.”

“Before the trial even begins, my lawyer told me no one in this situation would win. To be transparent with you we assumed since you were a teenager, that you were with some teenage boy, and he did not want Kendric. What happen to you, I never would have guessed. That thought never crossed my mind.”

“What do I look like? I mean how much damage did they do to me? My vision is blurry, I can barely open my eyes and my body is sore even when I take small breaths.”

Some of Essence's bruises.

“Please do be mad, but I had to give consent for you to have some surgeries. I’m sorry, I had to. Our son needs you.”

“You said our son again,” as tears slip from my eyes.

“After the case was over, I could still feel your pain and anguish in your screams. I tried to cope but I thought about Kendric in the future and how he not only needs his dad but his mom. Shit, my words are not coming out how I want them to. The bottom line, Kendric needs both of us. His parents. That’s why I came to see you. I want us to raise Kendric together. You are his mom, and I am his father. There isn’t anything that will change that. He needs us.”

“I need him. I love my son.” I say breaking down crying.

Feeling Lucas’s strong arms around me, “Kendric loves you too. My parents brought him here, and he got you those flowers. He even made you some cards. He said they will make you feel better so he can see you again.”

“Kendric saw me in this condition?” I question with panic.

“No, I wouldn’t let him. I told him you are sick and will be better soon.”

“Can I see the cards he made for me?”

A big smile graces Lucas’s face as he walks over to where the flowers and cards are at.

Lucas

“How many flowers is it?” “My parents, my siblings, and Vita all sent you flowers as well

“My parents, my siblings, and Vita all sent you flowers as well.” He says holding the cards for me.

“To Ms. Essence
I hope you feel better soon. We have some more games to play. Daddy told me to pray for you to feel better soon and I am.
Love, Kendric.”

“That’s one of the cards. I’ll read the other one.

“Ms. Essence please get better. I’ll be good. I love you.”

Tears slide down my face.

“Tell him I love him too.”

“I will, I think he would much rather hear it from you. You need to get some rest.”

“Lucas, how are we going to do this, how are we supposed to be his parents? We live in different states.”

“Move in with us.” Lucas states.

“What! You can’t be serious.”

“Why not. We are his parents. Besides, I want to make sure you get the proper care you need. I don’t just mean physical healing. Mentally and emotionally, you need to be healed from those scars also Essence. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“What was I supposed to say, my son is a product of rape. When I was pregnant and I was going to leave I always said when Kendric asks where or who his dad was, I was going to make up someone that he would be proud to be his father. Not some sick person.”

“He is not and will never be Kendric’s father, I am. Kendric will never know anything about that. You and our son are my priority, and that means I will do any and everything to protect both of yall.”

“Lucas,”

“Get some rest Essence. I’m not going anywhere. It’s not just Kendric who needs you.” He says placing a soft kiss on my forehead.     

Comment:

Vote:

Share: