Chapter 22

Essence

Next day  

Waking up feeling the most rested I have in a long time. Stretching my limbs when I hear Kendrick giggling loudly. Getting out of bed going to the bathroom to do my morning routine when memories of Lucas begin attacking my mind.

Stepping out the shower, my phone begins to ring. Checking the ID, “I’ll call you back Dre,” talking to myself.

After getting dressed Kendric’s laugher is louder. Going over to his room I see him and Lucas playing. A smile graces my lips.

“Good morning, Ms. Essence,” Kendric says as he runs towards me hugging me.

“Good morning baby boy. How are you this morning?”

“I’m good.” Kendric glances towards Lucas, “daddy why aren’t you hugging Ms. Essence and telling her good morning?”  

“Sweetie he- “
Lucas interrupted me when his arms pulled me into him, “good morning, Essence.”

“Good morning, Lucas,” telling him as I pull away from him.

“Who’s ready for breakfast?” Lucas questions looking at Kendric.

“We are, we are,” Kendric yells jumping up and down.

Lucas tells Kendric, “let’s go to the kitchen and get started cooking.” Kendric takes off down the stairs before either Lucas or I do.

“He helps you cook?” I ask with confusion.

“Sometimes he does cereal, fruits, toast simple things that will not endanger him.”

Nodding my head in understanding, I begin laughing, “how exactly do you cook cereal?”

Lucas joins me laughing, “fair enough. He can fix his cereal to a point.”

“Daddy may I have some french toast and fruit for breakfast?”

“You can. What kind of fruit would you like? I have to make sure we have it. Grandma and granddaddy did grocery shopping for us for this week.”  

“Essence, what would you like for breakfast?”

“You don’t have to go all out for me. What you make will be fine with me.”

He smiles at me then begins cooking.

While we were eating breakfast, there was a loud knock on the door.

Standing up from the table Lucas spoke, “I’ll get it.”

AS Lucas was walking to the door Kendric had a big grin on his face, “Ms. Essence, don’t you think daddy is a good cook?”

Grinning back, “I have to admit he can cook.”

“Will you cook for us one day this week, Ms. Essence?”

Before I could answer a familiar feminine voice called out, “Kendric.”

Kendric turn in the direction of the voice as his face lit up, “Aunt Eden!” He gets up from the table running to her.

“How’s my favorite nephew?”

“Aunt Eden I’m your only nephew. Aunt Eden, daddy wouldn’t let me bring all of my things on the trip.”

“Kendric why do you need all of your things; we are only here for a week.”

“Uncle Wyatt says you always pack up everything you own, and I want to be like you.”

“Uncle Wyatt is wrong; I don’t pack up everything I own. It is just always good to have options. I came to see if you wanted to spend the day with me and grandma?”

“I do. Daddy, I can I go please?”

Lucas replies with a hearty smile, “yes, you can go.”

“Thank you!” Kendric says hugging Lucas.

“Essence, come with us,” Eden pleads

“I would feel like I’m intruding.”

“Nonsense Essence, come on.” She says with a smile plastered on her face.

“I would love to join you all,” I tell her grinning ear to hear that I can spend more time with my son.

After a full day of shopping, exploring the town, eating, and playing with Kendric we were back at McKeen’s lake house.

Sitting on the sofa watching Kendric play when Eden came sitting beside me.

“He’s a great kid!” She tells me but looking at Kendric.

“Your brother and family are to thank for that.”

“No, I see a lot of you in Kendric. I’m so sorry this happened to you,” Eden quickly wrapped her arms around me hugging me.

While we were hugging, my phone disrupts us. Pulling away

Noticing my lawyer is face timing me, “Eden, if you would please excuse me. I need to take this call.”

“Sure, you can go in that room right their if you will like.” She says pointing to a study.

Entering the study closing the door behind me I answer the call.

“Hey Mr. Fields, is something wrong with the case?”

“I have been informed you need to divulge Kendric’s father’s name.”  

Fear surged through my body as I begin to panic.

“Please tell me there is a way around Mr. Fields.”

“I’m sorry it is not. I just got an email from the judge assigned to this case. He said he wants to know his name if he gave up his rights if he played a part in this. Perez told me he might have been abusive to you during this time; you have to tell me his name.”

“Can’t I say I got drunk at a party or something, I don’t want him near me or my son.”

“Essence, I understand I do but this is out of my hands now. I can tell you if you do not disclose his name, give a wrong name, or just do not comply the judge will drop your case and you will not be able to get another hearing.”

“You are saying the only way for me to proceed with my case is to tell who Kendric’s father is?”

“That is correct, and they will be performing a DNA test to make sure he is Kendric’s father. So, if it was more than one man you were with now is the time to tell me. I am not saying you were, but you must give his name up. You do know who his father is correct?”

Tears slide down my face as I nodded in a yes motion.

“Essence if you are worried, he will harm you or Kendric in some way don’t. I promise you are safe and the courts, me, Perez, and your family will make sure you both safe.”

“Thank you, Mr. Fields. I have to go now. I will call you back in a few days.”

“Essence, do you still want to go through with this case?”

“Yes, I do. Soon as I get back, I will give the name of Kendric’s father.”  

“Okay, Essence. When you do this will help your case. Keep in mind you are doing this for your son.” Mr. Fields states.

“I know. Thank you.” I said disconnecting the call.

Raw emotions took over me. Putting a hand over my mouth to muffle my cries. Cleaning up my face the best I could I left out the study.

Eden turn facing me as worry quickly took over her, “Essence are you alright?”

Holding all my pain inside, walking over hugging Kendric. Placing a kiss on him I got up and left going back to the lake house hoping Lucas would be gone.

Using the key Lucas provided me.

Opening the door, I hear Lucas talking to someone. Walking further, in the house, my body becomes numb when I see Lucas.

“I’ll call you back Ivy

“I’ll call you back Ivy.” He says

Hearing her voice, “okay, I love you, Lucas.”

Lucas hung up as he eyes my curiously, “Is everything okay?”

Nodding my head fighting back my tears, “yeah everything is okay.” I say going up to my room.

“Essence” Lucas calls me.

Rushing into the room, closing the door behind me, the pooled tears in my eyes finally escaped as I knew I would have to see the monster again.

Comment:

Vote:

Share: