Chapter 24

Essence 

Next morning

Laying in bed as the memory of last night occupies my mind once more.

“Lucas we can’t”

“Yes, we can,” Lucas says as he pulls me into another kiss.

Seconds later, “Stop. You’re getting married. I’m not just some girl who will fuck you because your girlfriend isn’t around. Don’t bother me the rest of the time. If it doesn’t have to do with Kendric don’t bother talking to me.”

“Essence, wait!”

Getting out of bed, heading towards the bathroom when my phone distracts me. Checking my phone, I smile answering, “good morning Dre, how is the trip?”

“Good morning baby sis! This trip is going well. How is your trip going? How is my nephew doing?” 

“Kendric is doing good, he is such a happy little boy. I hate I have missed the past six years of his life.”

“All that will change when you get him back. You can’t make up for lost times and go forward.”

“I know. I have a meeting with my lawyer when I get back. He says I have a good chance at winning the case. Dre, we need to make some decisions about what we are going to do with their things?”

“We will talk about that when we both get back. I have to run, call me later. Hug my nephew for me and I love yall.”

“I will love you too.” No, soon than the words left my lips, Andre hung up the call.

Standing under the shower as the water cascades on me, thoughts of Lucas resurface.

“He doesn’t want you Essence, he was just horny, and you are here,” I tell myself.  

Getting out the shower walking back in the bedroom I heard a loud thud follows by screaming and crying.

“Kendric!” I say to myself as I rush out of the bedroom.

Racing into his room at the exact time Lucas does. Kendric on the floor crying.  

“What’s wrong?” Lucas asks with panic lace in tone.  

“I fell daddy,” Kendric tells Lucas as he cries.

Lucas quickly picks up checking him, “let me see if you got hurt.”

“My leg hurts daddy.” Watching Lucas carefully examine Kendric I can see how much they love each other and seeing their bond.

“Ms. Essence can you come and hold my hand,” Kendric ask snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Of course, baby,” I say walking over to him.

“It looks like you just fell on it. You will be okay. You want to stay here instead of going to grandmas and granddaddy’s lake house?”

“No daddy I still want to go. I feel better already!” Kendric states.

“I’m sure you do son, I’ll get you your clothes out and bath you then we will take off,” Lucas says.

“Ms. Essence, will you come with us?”

“Sweetie, I don’t think I should. You and your dad go and have a great time.”

Kendric replies pouting, “please come with us, Ms. Essence.”

“The better question is why are you not Essence.”

“I will see you when you come back Kendric.”

“NOOOOOOOOOOO, PLEASE COME PLEASE!”

“I will for you Kendric.” He says running over to me hugging me.

“Yes! We are going to have so much!”

“Easy Kendric, didn’t you just hurt your leg?”

“It’s all better now daddy.”

Lucas and I laugh at Kendric, “get your things and I will help you get a bath.” Lucas tells Kendric.

“Okay, daddy.”

“I am going to get dressed,” I say walking out the bedroom when Lucas whispers in my ear.

“We need to talk.”

Continuing to walk away from him, Lucas came up behind me ushering me into my bedroom.

“What Lucas?”

“As I said we need to talk.”

“About?”

“What happened last night.”

“What happened Lucas?”

“The kiss, what happened between us.”

“Oh, that. You were drunk and I have forgotten all about it.” I tell him hoping he believes my lie.

“I wasn’t drunk, and you know that. I didn’t drink at all yesterday. I was with you and Kendric.”