Chapter 11

Lucas

Three weeks later

“Lucas, I’m going to ask you one more time, are you sure?” My attorney Mrs. Mylers questioned me for the thousand times.

“Why is it a problem or any problems in the future?” I shot back at her.

“No Lucas, there are no issues at all, in fact, Mr. and Mrs. Harrison has a copy of the adoption papers. They are not contesting the adoption at all. In their own words, we are happy he will be going to a great home. We miss him just as much as we miss our daughter, Essence.” She tells me then passes me the paper they submitted to the court.

While reading the documents, Mrs. Myler's voice interrupted me, “Lucas, my concern is you are 22 years old and, in a few months, maybe a few years you might realize this is too much for you. Have you thought about your future, I mean really considered it? Are you going to have more kids, are you going to get married, how are you going to finish college, work, and raise this little boy?”

“Why are you trying to talk me out of this? I know what I am up against. I love my son and I need you to make sure everything is in order. I know this is highly unorthodox, but I want to be his father. To answer your other questions, if I do have other kids, I will never treat LJ any differently. When I do get married, she will have to love and respect my son, or we won’t have any type of relationship with her. I recognize my son will come before anything and anybody that includes me.” I tell her looking in her green eyes.

“The last thing is your living situation.”

“I am going to look at homes after this meeting.”

“Will your family be helping you?”

Mrs. Myler's words hit a sore spot for me since I have not talked to my family in the past few weeks.

“Lucas!”

Snapping out of my thoughts I looked at Mrs. Mylers as she stared back at me inquisitively.

“I’m fine. My family will not be involved at this moment. Hopefully down the line, they will be.”

“I understand Lucas; however, you do and will need some help in caring for this little boy.”

“I have Vida, she will happily help me. I only want and need people around me and my soon who want the best for us and fully support us.”

“I definitely understand that. Also, to ease your mind I had the adoption papers expedited. You meet all the qualifications, and no one is standing in the way of this adoption. In the next day or two, you will be able to fill out all papers for your son.” She said with a wide smile on her face.

Then she continued, “I know I was giving you a hard time, but there are not many 22-year-old single men who want to adopt a child. I wanted to make sure your head was in the right place. I got a message which states you can take your son home today.”

“I can go get him now?”

“Yeah, you can. Since you already have his name LJ you need to make all the necessary changes to your information as well. For instance, your credit card, bank account, and those things to Lucas Sr.”

“No, his name won’t be LJ. I have been calling him that because I was unsure if I could adopt him.”

“You need to think of a name soon. That’s all for today Lucas.” She said with a smile.

“Thank you so much!” I said shaking her hand with a warm smile.

Exiting out of the attorney’s office my smile slowly begins to vanish when I saw my parents standing beside my car.

“I don’t have time for this. I am going to get my sone and we are going to look for a home of our own. If you two will please excuse me.” I express in an annoyed tone.

“Lucas! Stop for a minute and talk and listen to us.”

“No, you both made it clear you don’t agree with the adoption.” I became paralyzed when my dad spoke.

“We brought you and the little boy a house.”

Slowly turning to face my parents trying to find words but I could not.

“The house is yours completely. The deed, homeowner’s insurance, it all will be in your name; all we did was pay for it. Think of it as a baby shower gift.” My mom says.

“We have always bumped heads Lucas; I didn’t realize how much until you said you thought I would be there for you. Son, I am so sorry. I know I wanted you to work in the family IT business or do something else, anything else. I was not a supportive father. I am deeply sorry for my actions. Promise me, you will be a better father than I was to you.” My dad expressed candidly and genuinely.

Walking up to my dad I hugged him tightly as I open my mouth to talk, “I love dad. Thank you so much, I appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome son, I just hope you like the house.” My father replied.  

“Let’s go see your new house,” my mother says enthusiastically.

“Wait, before we go there, I have a stop to make first,” I replied happily.

“We will follow you.” My dad articulates happily.

Arriving at my job I rush in quickly to go get LJ.

“Happy day for you Lucas,” my supervisor announces from around his desk.

“Yes sir, it is,” I said over my shoulder.

Reaching the nursery my smile grew bigger as I saw LJ. Picking him up, immediately kissed his cheek.

“I missed you. I have a lot of great news for you. How about we go and talk about it in our new home.” Watching as LJ giggled made me hug him.

After gathering up a few things we left. Soon as we walked outside my parents were waiting for us.

“He is more precious in person,” my mom said playing with him.

“Let’s go see the house,” I state. 

Getting to the house, I was floored when I saw the house.

“This is too much; it’s just going to be me and LJ,” I tell them

“Nonsense son, let’s go see your new home.” My dad says patting me on my back.

Finally, at home with LJ looking over the documents when I saw the document about his name

“We have to find your name. What do you your name to be?” I ask knowing he could not answer.

“How about Lincoln.” Looking at him as he was trying to turn away from me.

“How about Jasper,” I say laughing myself.

“Wait your Vida would kill me if I named you some of those names. I need to find you a name that fits your culture, has a great meaning , and is strong. Let me look up some names.”

Searching on google “LJ, I don’t know about these names son.”

“Ahmad”

“Okay no to that one,” I tell him as I keep looking

“How about Emmet? That is not going to happen. Eden and Even would love that too much.”

Reaching down I pick him up I sit him in my lap.

While scrolling a name caught my eye.

“Let’s see what this name means; it means fearless leader and greatest champion.”

‘What do you think about this name. I like it.”

Smiling at him as he smiled back.

“Hello, Kendric McKeen,” the smile on both our faces was indescribable.

Comment:

Vote:

Share: