DRIVING-II

Prescott's POV:

Some sleep is more than what I had hoped for. I kick myself up and freshen up before I cannot control the urge to sleep till kingdom come.

With fuel of breakfast in me, I report to Chief with Kyra. How I envy the others who get to sleep!

He is ready with the car parked and asks Kyra to get in, "Position the seat as per your convenience. Prescott legs up on the hood. You keep pushing till she learns all the buttons inside." Damn! The hood means it will be handstand pushups. For That Many Buttons, I won't last.

He gets in and starts explaining. I hope Kyra learns it in the first time or I'm gone. I keep pushing slowly and getting back up because the hood is not a good place to position your feet. Damn it slips!

----

Kyra's POV:

With that many buttons, I'm sure Dad is going to fall and we are going to pay. Please let me remember it all in first time. Chief explains the function of each button and then asks me to repeat them all. I do it right but I can already feel Dad shaking. Well, let him get up already Chief.

But Chief never has mercy. Especially on Dad. He asks me to close my eyes and name all the button and functions so that in night I can do it effectively. I make some mistakes in the first time but get it right the second time.

Before saying anything, he asks Dad to join in the back and I'm relieved. Atleast he is not doing push ups.

"Kyra, remember what you learned yesterday and just now. Start the car" What? Nothing about my mistake without the light. This can't be happening.

I slowly start the car and as per his instructions and on the lights.

"Now you know the gears. Start at 1, slowly release the clutch and press on the accelerator."

I do as he says but the car makes a small jerk on starting.

"No jerks cadet. Do it again"

I shut off the engine and receive a smack that nearly makes me jump in my seat.

"Lights off before power off. If I have to repeat this, I'll itch it in your bones."

"Yes sir" I say desperately wanting to rub that smack. Damn the oldie still has his strength.

I do as told and this time slowly release the clutch and it rides smooth. Thank God.

"Ok. Now I'm going to sit here and guide when I need to. Otherwise I won't intervene. Don't fear. When the speed reaches the limit, change gears and keep driving."

I take deep breathes and imagine I'm all alone. Wish I could just play loud music and bob my head but alas I know two lions are ready to pound on me. Though I cannot even feel Dad sitting in the back he is that quiet.

Slowly I make it to third gear and the forth when Chief says , "Stop". I stop the car immediately but it jerks bad. Oh god, don't kill me.

"Good. Stopping immediately is important. Now next time I want you to stop slowly. Go again"

I drive again and when Chief says Stop. I slowly lower the gears and stop the car.