DEATH WISH?

OFFICER SIDDHARTH MISHRA:

I had just taken two steps before I fell on my ass. Thankfully, Roshesh was waiting right outside the gym along with two cadets carrying a stretcher.

Knowing I was in great hands, I decided to give in to my urge to just sleep.

When I woke up, I was still in the infirmary and Roshesh's shouts can be heard from my bed. Somebody is in for a long night, it seems. Wait, what time is it anyway?

Getting up, I walk outside to where Roshesh is shouting at some 2nd year cadet.

"Hey, how long have I been out? Where is Agent Prescott?"

Without even a glance in my direction, he says, "It's 2000 hours right now. You have been out for 24 hours. We can talk after you eat something. I'll meet you in your room in 30 minutes."

It is then that I realise how hungry I am. So, I quickly reach the Officer's Mess and have a nice meal.

Just as I enter the room, Roshesh joins me.

"Agent Prescott said that he would contact me. If he does not do it within the next 30 days, I have to start making his funeral arrangements."

"What? Is he on a mission or what?"

"No, he is not on a mission. I have no clue why he said what he said. He gives no explanation."

--

UNKNOWN LOCATION

AGENT PRESCOTT

Sweat was dripping down my nose as I pushed down 200th one arm push-up. I could no longer feel my left arm which was freezing on my back while my right arm was incessantly quivering under my weight. To top things off, Chief Darhk was shouting above me. Normally, this scene would bring a smirk on my face but not today.

Chief Darhk, a 5.5 ft lean man with sharp features, is a US Navy Seal instructor. While he may look easy, he is anything but. He is the hardest man to please and has the sharpest senses. After my training in the India, I was sent to try out the Navy Seals course. Let's just say, he knows exactly how to push my limits. I do not mind him being a hardass but right now, he is just pissed because I did something, kept him in the dark about it and lied. I must have a death wish because I voluntarily decide to face him.

It has been 4 years since the incident. I was hoping he would have cooled off because I desperately needed him to help me with something. Instead, after being used as a punching bag, performing sit-ups, lunges, pull-ups, dips, leg-lifts, back-belly-feet, steppings, suicides, bear-crawls, push-ups and every other form of torture he could come up with for the last eight hours, I'm certain he is never going to cool off.

Chief Darhk spoke, shaking his head in disgust, "Up. I'm disgusted. Look at me. There is not a drop of sweat on me and you look like an underfed refugee. Get off my ground. You have thirty minutes to go and have some lunch. And I want the old Prescott back when you step foot here. I need that zeal."

"Hoo-yaah, Chief Darhk."

And I sprinted the three miles to the chow hall eagerly. After skipping breakfast and no hope for dinner, early lunch sounds heaven. Stuffing some food in my mouth and slipping two toasts and cheese cubes in my pocket for later, I made it back just in time.

Chief Darhk- "So where were we?"

"Three hundredth push-up, Chief Darhk"

"Well, who is counting? We just got started, Prescott. Now, why don't you go and have a dip!"

What better way to make you miserable than to leave you wet and sandy for the day. The sand is going to chaff my skin and the wetness is going to making me cold. After some more PT, where I had puked twice, Chief Darhk seemed satisfied for the moment and decided to dry me up so here I'm hanging by my wrists.